Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Your Complaint About a Billing Issue?

posted by  ScottishPower | 4 months ago

Have you recently received a bill and are looking for some help to understand it?  We have detailed some useful information as well as some videos below that might help to resolve your complaint or query.

My complaint is to do with my bill being wrong/too high. 

If your complaint is to do with your bill being wrong or unexpectedly high, we recommend that you check your current and previous bills to see if any meter readings have been estimated. If your bill has been based on estimated readings we will show this on the front page at the top right hand side. It's possible that your previous bills were based on estimated meter readings that were too low and that your current bill has been calculated using actual meter readings, so it's higher than you expected. This can happen if we haven't been able to get meter readings for some time. If your current bill has been estimated please provide us with actual readings to enable us to send you a more accurate bill.

There are three easy ways for you to provide a meter reading:

  1. Log in to MyAccount and select ‘Enter Meter Reading’.
  2. Download and enter your readings in our free YourEnergy App
  3. Call our 24 hour automated meter reading service on 0800 027 8000.

If the meter readings look right, it's likely that your energy use has increased over the billing period. This could be due to the time of year - for example in winter you're likely to use more energy than you do in summer. It's also worth considering whether you've changed your circumstance or have used any new or different appliances during the billing period, which may account for the higher usage, or if one of your appliances has developed a fault.

Our Energy Efficiency page could help you to reduce your energy usage. 

You may also be able to reduce your future bills by choosing any available cheaper ScottishPower tariff by logging into MyAccount and selecting ‘Change Your Tariff’ to find all of our current available tariffs.

My complaint is to do with my bill being amended.

If your complaint is to do with your bill being amended or about cancelled charges the following information and youtube video should help resolve your issue.  Cancelled charges are energy consumption and VAT charges that have been reversed and removed from your bill to correct your account balance, your account balance will change to reflect this amended amount and a new amended bill is then issued.

For further help on issues you have experienced with your bill please see the following help articles;




Still Need to Raise a Scottish Power Complaint?

If you still require further help and have a complaint about your bill please visit our complaint page www.scottishpower.co.uk/complaints where you can chat to us for an instant response.

posted by mikehobbs | 3 months ago

My phone app keeps saying I need to supply meter readings and says it is 18 days since they received the last one but I have a smart meter and they should get readings half hourly and the energy graph shows very  high usage cant get a sensible answer from scottish power

posted by Morton | A month ago

Avoid thyis company like the plague. 

They are incompetent 

posted by Howardstressed | 3 weeks ago

One aspect of 10 months of sheer hell..............

Further to the below complaint, I have never had any proper message to say this has been resolved although on checking my accounts the right meters do now appear to be recorded for the right three addresses but I remain concerned about your ability to record the meter readings and provide me with accurate accounts.


My ombudsman service complaint reference is 01685598-01.


I have just submitted two up to date meter readings for accounts 49981426010 and 16004423712 after getting an email to inform me you could not get a reading from the smart meters that were fitted in March 2018??!


I have also had a request for a meter reading for account 49981450010 Capel Garizim which is empty and does not use power. I have tried to submit he current reading of 18842 but your records show the incorrect reading of one of the smart meters on the other accounts which is meant to have been sorted out. Consequently your online system is unable to process the correct meter reading and I have tried to get on web chat and phone you up but the waiting time as usual is intolerable.  On 27/10/18 the meter reading for this account was 18838 which illustrates how little power is used. The account is well in credit due to you overcharging because of your incorrect customers and meter information.


I have twice previously sent photographic evidence of the meter readings for the 50010 account but refuse to travel another 300 miles to do the same again. I have saved well over £1000 to settle my bills with you given you instructed me to cancel the three direct debits in September 2018 because the smart meter records and billing was in such an inaccurate mess.


I am not paying anything until I am satisfied that all three online accounts reflect up to date accurate information and the smart meters you so adamantly promoted are actually doing what they are meant to do instead of drive a customer to distraction.



Mr Howard Riley


posted by ashish | 3 weeks ago

Hi Im on hold on phone from last 1 hour regarding my bill but no one is answering. What am I suppose to do please

posted by mirza | 2 weeks ago

hi everyone,

Just a quick information about scottish power. Its not a reliable energy supplier. my electric usage for the month of Jan2019 is £46.58 but my bill is £104. this is totally annoying. Customer service is one of the worse one. Those who are on scottish power change their energy supplier.  Totally non professional company.

bye every one


posted by johnallenby | A week ago

In a document sent to me on 19th December 2018 it identifies the cost of my usage for gas and electric as being 1,233 on the Help beat cancer fixed tariff. However I pay 125.54 per month which for 12 months is 1506.48 . can you explain the difference. Thank you.

John Allenby

You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.