Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently Asked Questions

Electric Vehicle FAQs

1. Why should I charge my electric car at home?
  2. What grants are available towards home charging, and am I eligible?
  3. How much does having an electric vehicle charger installed at home cost?
  4. What happens before the installation?
  5. What happens during a standard installation?
  6. What is included as part of a standard installation?
  7. What happens if my installation is non-standard?
  8. Do I need to be a ScottishPower energy customer to buy a ScottishPower Smart EV Home Charger?
  9. How do I rearrange my ScottishPower Smart EV Charge Point installation?
  10. What is a deadlock letter?

1. Why should I charge my electric car at home?

If you have access to off-road parking, you can charge your electric car at home. Home charging is convenient and reliable, and gives you the option of charging your car overnight while taking advantage of cheap unit rates offered through Time of Use energy tariffs. For more information on ScottishPower's Electric Vehicle energy tariff, click here. You can find out more about our Smart EV home charger above.

2. What grants are available towards home charging, and am I eligible?

'Fully resolved' means 'we both agree that we have addressed all of your issues and you are satisfied with the outcome of your complaint'.

3. How much does having an electric vehicle charger installed at home cost?

Our Smart EV Home Charger is £859, including standard installation. You can find out more about what is included in a standard installation below. The cost of buying and installing a charger at home can be reduced for many people by taking advantage of government funding offered by the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV). Electric vehicle owners based in Scotland can take advantage of an additional grant available from the Energy Savings Trust (EST). For those eligible for the £500 OLEV funding, the charger cost can be reduced to £359, and those eligible for additional EST funding will be able to reclaim a further £300, bringing the cost to £59. More information can be found on these above.

ScottishPower Smart EV Home Charger with Standard Installation Cost
Smart EV home charger £859
With OLEV grant £359
With OLEV and EST grants £59

4. What happens before the installation?

After you have purchased your charger, you will be asked to complete an online survey to let us understand your individual installation requirements. This will involve you providing us pictures of your existing electrical system, such as your fuse box, electricity meter, and your preferred charger location. Further information will be provided to you after you have purchased your charger to guide you through this. Once this is complete, our installation partner will then be in touch to discuss your charger installation in more detail.

5. What happens during a standard installation?

The price you pay us for your home charger includes standard installation. For more details on what is included in a standard installation, call our EV team for more information on 0800 027 0004.

After purchasing your charger, you will complete an online survey for us to determine your installation requirements. Once this is complete, on the day agreed between the installer and you for your installation to take place, the installer will:

• Attach your charge point to the wall by drilling fixings and clipping the cable to the wall
  • Install an earthing rod into soft ground near to your charger
  • Turn off your electricity for a short time while installing your charge point to connect it to the main supply
  • Help set up the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connection between you charge point and your mobile device
  • Show you how to use your charge point and manage it with the ScottishPower app
  • Conduct a final safety test and your charge point will then be ready to use

A standard installation relies on there being a meter isolation switch installed as part of your electrical system. If you do not have one, we fit one as part of your installation for an additional cost or help you arrange this independently.

On occasion, additional non-standard work may be required. If this is the case, our installer will discuss this with you before commencing work. Further information on non-standard installations, please see the section below.

6. What is included as part of a standard installation?

The price you pay us for your home charger includes standard installation.

What's included in a standard installation
  • Up to 10 meters of cable between your electricity meter and charger
  • Cable must be able to be surface mounted and clipped to wall surface
  • Cable can be drilled through one hole in a wall up to 500mm thick, if needed
  • Up to 3 meters of plastic conduit to conceal interior wiring
  • All necessary safety tests to ensure your charger is ready for use
  • Set up of the connection between your charge point and your mobile device
  • Overview of how to use your charger and manage it with the mobile app
  • An earth rod in soft ground, if required
We also make the following assumptions:
  • The existing switchboard has available space
  • The service fuse is 80amps or greater
  • There is an isolation switch between your meter and switchboard
  • If an earthing rod is required, it can be inserted into soft ground
  • There are no additional groundworks required

After purchasing your charger, you will complete an online survey for us to determine your installation requirements. As part of this online survey you will be asked to supply photographs of your property and existing electrical system (e.g. your fuse board) Once this is complete your installer will help you choose the best position for your Smart EV home charger. On the day agreed between the installer and you for your installation to take place, the installer will:

• Attach your charger to the wall by drilling fixings and clipping the cable to the wall
  • Install an earthing rod into soft ground near to your charger
  • Turn off your electricity for a short time while installing your charger to connect it to the main supply
  • Help set up the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connection between your charger and your mobile device
  • Show you how to use your charger and manage it with the mobile app
  • Conduct a final safety test and your charger will then be ready to use

A standard installation relies on there being a meter isolation switch installed as part of your electrical system. If you do not have one, we fit one as part of your installation for an additional cost or help you arrange this independently.

For more details on what is included in a standard installation, call our EV team for more information on 0800 027 0004.

On occasion, additional non-standard work may be required. If this is the case, our installer will discuss this with you before commencing work. For further information on non-standard installations, please see the section below.

7. What happens if my installation is non-standard?

Our installer will work with you to understand any non-standard requirements you may need as part of your installation and discuss potential solutions. For example, you may need additional cabling, upgrades to your existing fuse boards, or ground works. Any additional works will be quoted and agreed with you prior to work starting. If you decide not to proceed at this point, you will have the right to cancel your charger purchase and we will provide you with a full refund.

8. Do I need to be a ScottishPower energy customer to buy a ScottishPower Smart EV Home Charger?

To buy and use our charger, you do not need to be a ScottishPower energy customer. However, we do have a range of energy tariffs available to help you make the most of your home charger. Our electric vehicle tariff gives you the option of cheaper rates at off-peak times, with 100% of electricity coming from Renewable sources. You can find out more information on our electric vehicle tariff here.

9. How do I rearrange my ScottishPower Smart EV Charge Point installation?

If you need to reschedule your charge point installation, please call our installer on the telephone number shown on the Appointment Email from your installer. If you've lost you Appointment Email then please call our general enquiries number 0800 975 7879, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

10. I've bought a Smart EV Charge Point from ScottishPower but I've changed my mind?

We want you to be completely happy with your decision to purchase your Smart EV Charge Point and you can cancel at any time before your new charge point is installed by calling us free on 0800 975 7879, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. We'll refund your payment within 14 days to the card you used to pay for it. We'll also contact our installer to let them know you've changed your mind; if your installation appointment has already been agreed they will cancel this for you. There's no need for you to do anything else.

Updated by Gordon | 26 Feb 20

Labels: None

0 of 0 users found this helpful