Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for ScottishPower Small Business customers

The COVID-19 pandemic remains a challenging and uncertain time for businesses. We want to reassure you that we’re here to support your business as best we can. Our call centres are working hard to help our customers, though we still recommend using our website or app where possible. This is the fastest way to manage your business’s energy and helps keep our phone lines free for customers who need us most.

Have any questions or concerns? Please find advice relevant to your business in our FAQs below.

Direct Debit customers

My business has been adversely affected by the coronavirus outbreak and I am now unable to pay all or some of my Direct Debit.  What should I do?

We know that these are challenging times and many of our business customers have been impacted. But we ask that you don’t cancel your Direct Debit if you can avoid doing so. If you’re worried about paying your business’s energy bill, we have payment support options to help, such as the ability to manage your business’s direct debit payment online. Click here to access our Direct Debit manager tool.

Please note, we recommend only reducing your business’s monthly Direct Debit if necessary. This is because you’ll still need to pay for the energy your business uses during this time. That means your account may be in arrears after reducing your monthly amount resulting in your business having to pay more later. Your account will be reviewed over the coming months and we will be in touch prior to making any changes. 

To discuss other suitable payment support options, please call us on 0800 040 7002.

My business tariff is due for renewal but I can’t get through to you. What can I do?

If your business tariff ends within the next 2 months you can select your new tariff here. 

I have a meter reading appointment scheduled. Will this still go ahead?

In response to recent advice provided by the UK Government in relation to COVID-19, in order to protect our customers and our meter readers, we have taken the decision to stop all meter read appointments.  However please note that it is quick and easy to go online and submit your meter reads. Click here

Why have you requested an increase in my business’s Direct Debit payments?

Increases to Direct Debit payments reflect changes to the way your business uses energy.  Or you may have previously chosen to reduce your business’s Direct Debit amount and we have now reviewed your account and have requested an increase to avoid your account building up debt or to repay any arrears which your business has accrued. 

Cash or Cheque Business Customers

I need to make a payment to my business’s energy bill but I can’t leave my home or get through to your call centre. What should I do?

You can make a debit card payment to cover your full outstanding balance online through your business’s online account. You can enter your payment here or, if you don’t yet have an online account, you can register here.

I am struggling to pay my business’s weekly, monthly or quarterly bill?

If you are struggling to pay your business’s energy bill, we’re here to help. You can change your payment method to Direct Debit, meaning you’ll spread your costs over 12 months. Call us on 0800 040 7002 to change to Direct Debit.

To discuss other suitable payment support options, please call us on 0800 040 7002.

Prepayment Business Customers 

Given the current coronavirus guidance, we’d suggest that you keep your prepayment meter topped up with additional credit at this time, where you can afford to do so.

As a prepayment customer, what online functions can I use?    

There are several things you can do online to make life easier. You can order a new key or card online to top up. If you notice a fault code on your meter, we have a guide to fix the problem, which is available when you log in. 

By providing us with contact details, we can keep you updated with important information via email and text message. You can provide these details by registering for an online account via either the website or app.

I have been told to self-isolate, how will I be able to top up my business meter?              

Do you have a business colleague, friend, neighbour or family member who can top up for you?  We’d encourage you to ask them to top up with a little more credit than normal. This will help you manage your supply even if you can't make it to a top up outlet as regularly as you would normally.

I am already in self-isolation and I have run out of credit. What should I do?      

Do you have a business colleague, friend, neighbour or family member who can top up for you? We’d encourage you to ask them to top up with a little more credit than normal. This will help you manage your supply even if you can't make it to a top up outlet as regularly as you would normally.

I am already in self-isolation and I’m worried about my energy supply. I don't have anyone that can help me, what should I do?      

If you have gone off supply, please call us on 0800 040 7002.

Can I top up more than the normal £49 limit per transaction?   

While you can only top up £49 per transaction, you can make multiple transactions while you are in the top up outlet. That means you can top up £49 and then another £49, should you wish to.

Your electricity meter can hold a maximum credit value of £249 at any one time and your gas meter can hold £999.

What happens if my local outlet where I normally top up is closed?       

As the situation continues to change, we understand that some outlets may need to close. If this happens, please visit paypoint.com or postoffice.co.uk to find an alternative vendor near you.  If you have a smart meter, we recommend topping up via the app or by visiting payzone.co.uk or postoffice.co.uk.

I am self-isolating and/or because of coronavirus I am unable to work. I don’t have any money to top up my meter, what should I do?           

We understand that business customers may be financially impacted over a period of self-isolation or due to a business closure. Please get in touch to discuss your options and find out how we can help you. 

You can call the Business Debtline free on 0800 197 6026 from Monday to Friday. They will help you to:

•        Complete a Business Budget sheet
  •        Identify priority debts (e.g. gas / electricity) and non-priority debts
  •        Set up affordable repayment plans with all creditors

They can also provide help with cash flow advice.

Alternatively, you can access their website by clicking here

My meter is showing an error message. What should I do?         

We would ask you to check the following guidance on meter errors here.  Please follow the instructions relating to your meter, which should fix the issue.

I have a fault with my meter and have lost my supply, who should I contact?     We continue to work closely with meter operators to ensure the safety of our customers. If you experience a fault with your meter resulting in loss of supply, please contact us on 0800 040 7002 with your fault code.

Smart Meter Installation Appointments  

Following advice by the UK Government in relation to COVID -19 we have currently paused all non-essential business meter installations.

Can I get a smart meter installed?

In response to recent advice provided by the UK Government in relation to COVID-19, in order to protect our customers and our meter installers, we have taken the decision to stop all non-essential business meter installations.  If you already have an appointment confirmed, we will aim to contact you in advance of your appointment date to notify you of the cancellation, and we will be in touch at a later date to re-schedule your appointment.

Where emergency meter exchanges must go ahead, please be assured that our installers have health and safety equipment and new protocols to protect both them and our customers to allow them to carry out your installation as safely as possible.

UK Government Support

This webpage contains some links to UK and Scottish Government information regarding the types of financial support being made available to businesses following the Covid-19 outbreak.

Please note that the information contained in these links is general and may be subject to change from time to time. You should regularly review the guidance issued by the UK, Welsh and Scottish Governments and seek independent financial advice before making any decisions that may affect your business.

Please note that ScottishPower is not responsible for the information contained in any of these links.

Sources of information

England & Wales – General Advice

https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response

England & Wales – Business Support

https://www.businesssupport.gov.uk/coronavirus-business-support/

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/financial-support-for-businesses-during-coronavirus-covid-... 

Scotland – Business Support

https://findbusinesssupport.gov.scot/coronavirus-advice

Confederation of British industry

https://www.cbi.org.uk/articles/coronavirus-faqs/

Updated by ScottishPower | 17 Jun 20

Labels: None

0 of 0 users found this helpful