Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for ScottishPower customers

Our call centre is returning to normal operations. This means we can answer calls from most of our customers. However, if you’re in the process of leaving us or have a query relating to your Direct Debit or product, please continue to use our online account services where possible.

If you don’t have access to our online account services, you can chat to us on our website. If we’re not available to chat right now, you can also email us at contactus@scottishpower.com.

Now more than ever it’s important to register online so we can easily communicate with you as we move together through this unprecedented time. Remember, you can use our website and app to adjust your Direct Debit payments or to take a payment holiday if you are struggling financially. Moving forward, you can continue to manage your account online 24/7 to pay your bill, make and amend regular payments and renew or change your tariff.

By using our digital services, you’re enabling us to support customers who really need our help. We appreciate this is an anxious time, so we want to reassure you we are doing all we can to guarantee the safety of our customers and employees. We continue to closely monitor the changing situation across the UK and will continue to update this page as and when it’s appropriate. We have also provided frequently asked questions below to help answer some of your queries.

For advice specific to you, please see the below options:

• Prepayment customers click here
  • Direct Debit customers click here
  • Cash or Cheque customers click here
  • Energy Services: Boiler Breakdown | Plumbing Drains and Electric | Appliance Care | Electric Vehicle Charging | Smart Thermostat click here
  • Smart Meter Appointments click here
  • Small Business customers click here

Priority Services Register – supporting our most vulnerable customers

The Priority Services Register is a free service for our most vulnerable customers or those with additional requirements. It provides a range of services to help you manage your energy account if you need extra support.

You are eligible if you:

• are of pensionable age
  • are disabled or chronically sick
  • have a hearing or visual impairment or additional communication needs
  • have another type special need
  • have had a change in personal circumstance (e.g. a bereavement or divorce)

You can join our register here www.scottishpower.co.uk/sppsr

Affordability issues

We understand that this is a challenging time for everyone. By following government advice to stay at home, you could be using more energy than normal to heat your household and power your appliances, which may result in your bills increasing. If you’ve been financially impacted due to the current circumstances and are struggling to pay for your energy bills, we’re here to support you. Please contact us - there are ways we can help depending on your circumstances, including:

• Reviewing monthly payments
  • Greater time to pay
  • ScottishPower Hardship Fund

Prepayment customers

We know that as a prepayment customer, you may have additional concerns about your energy supply. We want to reassure you we’re doing everything we can to help. Remember that topping up your prepayment meter is within the government guidelines as being essential, so you or somebody else is able to leave home to do this.  Please ensure you follow all social distancing advice.   

Below you’ll find frequently asked questions to help you manage your energy supply and avoid any unnecessary disruption. Please keep checking back to this page as we continue to provide updates. 

Please also make sure your personal contact details are up to date.  This will help us get important information about your account directly to you.  

Given the current coronavirus guidance, we’d suggest that you keep your prepayment meter topped up with additional credit at this time, where you can afford to do so.

For any other questions relating to your prepayment meter, please click here 

As a prepayment customer, what online functions can I use?

There are several things you can do online to make life easier. You can order a new key or card online to top up. If you notice a fault code on your meter, we have a guide to fix the problem, which is available when you log in.

If you have a smart meter, you can top up your meter via the app and check your energy consumption.

By providing us with contact details, we can keep you updated with important information via email and SMS. You can provide these details by registering for an online account through the website or app.

I have been told to self-isolate, how will I be able to top up?

Do you have a friend, neighbour or family member who can top up for you?  We’d encourage you to ask them to top up with a little more credit than normal. This will help you manage your supply even if you can't make it to a top up outlet as regularly as you would normally.

I am already in self-isolation and I have run out of credit. What should I do?

Do you have a friend, neighbour or family member who can top up for you? We’d encourage you to ask them to top up with a little more credit than normal. This will help you manage your supply even if you can't make it to a top up outlet as regularly as you would normally.

I am already in self-isolation and I’m worried about my energy supply. I don't have anyone that can help me, what should I do?  

If you have gone off supply, please call  us on 0800 027 0072. Please note, we are now operating a reduced service and can only answer emergency calls, such as customers who are at risk of going off supply.

Can I top up more than the normal £49 limit per transaction? 

While you can only top up £49 per transaction, you can make multiple transactions while you are in the top up outlet. That means you can top up £49 and then another £49, should you wish to.

Your electricity meter can hold a maximum credit value of £249 at any one time and your gas meter can hold £999.

Please note, if you have a smart prepayment meter, you can top up £200 in a single transaction. The maximum amount your smart gas and electricity meters can hold is £500.

I have a smart prepayment meter. My top up has not been credited and I am in self-isolation, what should I do?

You will need to enter your Unique Transaction Reference Number (UTRN) manually into your meter. To find this, please check your outlet receipt or the email you will have received after topping up via the app.

For any other questions related to your smart prepayment meter please click here.

What happens if my local shop where I normally top up is closed?

As the situation continues to change, we understand that some shops may need to close. If this happens, please visit paypoint.com or postoffice.co.uk to find an alternative vendor near you. 

I am self-isolating and/or because of coronavirus I am unable to work. I don’t have any money to top up my meter, what should I do?

We understand that customers may be financially impacted over a period of self-isolation or due to a business closure.If you have gone off supply, please call  us on 0800 027 0072. Please note, we are now operating a reduced service and can only answer emergency calls, such as customers who are at risk of going off supply.

We would also recommend contacting the National Debt Line on 0808 808 4000.  They’ll be able to offer support on energy debt and offer wider financial advice. 

My meter is showing an error message. What should I do?   

We would ask you to check the following guidance on meter errors here.  Please follow the instructions relating to your meter, which should fix the issue.

If that does not work then please call us on 0800 027 0072.

I have a fault with my meter and have lost my supply, who should I contact?

We continue to work closely with meter operators to ensure the safety of our customers. If you experience a fault with your meter resulting in loss of supply, please contact us with your fault code.

Direct Debit customers

Important information for Direct Debit customers

We know that these are challenging times and many of our customers' households have been impacted , but we ask that you don’t cancel your Direct Debit if you can avoid doing so. If you’re worried about paying your energy bill, we have introduced some new flexible payment options to support you. Our Direct Debit Manager tool will now allow you to reduce your monthly payment to an amount that is more manageable for you during this time.  Or, if you are struggling to manage your payments you could apply for a payment holiday for up to 2 months.   

Click here to access our Direct Debit manager tool

Click here to access our flexible payment support

Please note, we recommend only taking a payment holiday or reducing your monthly Direct Debit if necessary. This is because you’ll still need to pay for the energy you use during this time. That means your account may be in arrears after pausing your payments or reducing your monthly amount. Any changes will be reviewed over the coming months and we’ll agree a new suitable payment amount. We hope that our flexible payment support helps during this challenging time. 

I have been made redundant/my hours have been reduced as a result of the coronavirus outbreak and I am now unable to pay all or some of my monthly Direct Debit.  What should I do?  

We’re here to help.  Please don’t cancel your Direct Debit if you can avoid doing so.  We’ve taken steps to support you by giving you greater flexibility through our online tools.  

You can now change your monthly Direct Debit to a more manageable amount.

Click here to access our Direct Debit manager tool. Or if you’re really struggling to manage your monthly payments you could apply for a payment holiday for up to 2 months. Click here to access our flexible payment support.

My tariff is ending, and I can’t get through to your call centre. What should I do? 

It’s quick and simple to choose a new tariff online. Simply visit here and take your pick.  

I have a meter reading appointment scheduled. Will this still go ahead?

In response to recent advice provided by the UK Government in relation to COVID-19, in order to protect our customers and our meter readers, we have taken the decision to stop all meter read appointments.  However please note that it is quick and easy to go online and submit your meter reads.  Click here to enter your meter readings online. 

Why have you requested an increase in my Direct Debit payments?

Increases to Direct Debit payments reflect changes to the way you use energy. You might be working from home more or self-isolating and using more energy. 

If you are struggling to pay your Direct Debit, we’ve taken steps to support you by giving you greater flexibility through our online tools. You can now change your monthly Direct Debit to a more manageable amount. Click here to use the Direct Debit Manager. 

Or if you’re really struggling to manage your monthly payments you could apply for a payment holiday for up to 2 months. Click here to access our flexible payment support.

Cash or Cheque Customers

I need to make a payment and I can’t leave my home or get through to your call centre. What should I do? 

You can make a debit card payment online though your online account. You can enter your payment here or, if you don’t yet have an online account, you can register here. 

I am struggling to pay my weekly, monthly or quarterly bill? 

We’re here to help. We’ve taken steps to support you by giving you greater flexibility through our online tools. If you are struggling to pay some of your energy bill, you can now take out a payment holiday for up to two months Click here to access our flexible payment support.   

You could also change your payment method to Direct Debit, meaning you’ll spread your costs over 12 months. Once you’ve set up a Direct Debit, you can change your monthly payment to a manageable amount  

Click hereto access our flexible payment support.   

I can only afford to pay some of my weekly, monthly or quarterly bill? 

We’re here to help. We’ve taken steps to support you by giving you greater flexibility through our online tools. If you are struggling to pay some of your energy billyou can now take out a payment holiday for up to two months. You can choose whether to pause your entire outstanding balance or pay a proportion of it now and pause the remainder.   

You could also change your payment method to Direct Debit, meaning you’ll spread your costs over 12 months. Once you’ve set up a Direct Debit, you can change your monthly payment to a manageable amount 

Click hereto access our flexible payment support.   

Energy Services: Boiler Breakdown | Plumbing Drains and Electric | Appliance Care | Electric Vehicle Charging | Smart Thermostat

If you’re feeling unwell or you’ve self-isolated, please let our team know when you make the appointment.

I have boiler care with ScottishPower and have an issue with my boiler. Can I still get help?

Yes. Our experienced partners, Domestic & General, are continuing to provide this service for customers with a boiler that has stopped working. So, if you’re experiencing a breakdown or emergency that is included in your maintenance plan or policy, then please call 0800 001 5214 for Boiler Maintenance & Support Plans or 0800 027 1444 for your Boiler Repair Insurance policy.

I have an issue with my plumbing, drains and electrics and have insurance cover with ScottishPower. Can I still get help?

Yes. Our experienced  partner, AXA, are continuing to provide this service. So, if you’re experiencing an emergency that is included in your policy, please call 0800 027 4645

I have an appliance care plan with ScottishPower and the appliance has stopped working. Can I still get help?

Yes. Our experienced  partner, Domestic & General, are continuing to provide this service where possible. So, if you’re experiencing a breakdown or emergency that is included in your maintenance plan please call 0800 027 5008

I want to buy a ScottishPower Smart Thermostat and have this installed, is this still available at this time?

We will recommence Smart Thermostat sales and installations when we get back to normal following the Coronavirus lock-down. If you have already ordered a Smart thermostat but haven’t yet had it installed, please be patient ScottishPower will be in touch with you in the near future to advise further.

I want to arrange the installation of a ScottishPower Smart EV Charge Point at my home. Can I still book one?

Yes, you can still buy our Smart EV home charger by visiting https://quote.scottishpower.co.uk/electric-vehicles/charger. Once your purchase is complete you will receive a welcome email with full details as well as next steps for gathering your pre-installation survey information.

Please note that we are currently unable to offer installation dates in April due to the guidance issued by the UK Government on CORVID-19, to ensure the safety of both our staff and customers. We will keep in touch with you as this guidance changes. If you have any questions regarding this, please email us at evenquiries@scottishpower.com and we will aim to respond to you within two working days.

Smart Meter Installation Appointments

If you’re feeling unwell or you’ve self-isolated, please let our team know when you make the appointment.

Can I still get a smart meter installed?

In response to recent advice provided by the Prime Minister in relation to COVID-19, in order to protect our customers and our meter installers, we have taken the decision to stop all non-essential meter installations from Wednesday 25th March. If you already have an appointment with a date of 25thMarch onwards, unless in the case of an emergency meter exchange, we will aim to contact you in advance of your appointment date to notify you of the cancellation, and we will be in touch at a later date to re-schedule your appointment.

Where emergency meter exchanges must go ahead, please be assured that our installers have health and safety equipment and new protocols to protect both them and our customers to allow them to carry out your installation as safely as possible.

Smart Thermostats

I have a general enquiry about my existing Smart Thermostat, can I still get help?

Unfortunately, as we are now operating a reduced service in our call centres, we ask that you can please send an email for any non-urgent queries to smarthome@scottishpower.com and we will aim to respond to you within two working days.

I have a fault with my Smart Thermostat, can I still get help?

Yes. Our experienced partner HomeServe, is continuing to provide an emergency service where possible. So, if you're experiencing a breakdown or emergency relating to your Smart Thermostat install please call 0800 073 2173 between 5pm and 9am Monday to Friday and all day Sat / Sun.

Updated by Gordon | 19 May 20

Labels: None

0 of 7 users found this helpful