Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping you pay your bill

We can work together

If you're having difficulties paying your bill, you can be sure we're here to help. Just contact us as soon as possible. We can discuss a repayment plan that suits you best and advise you of any other sources of help or debt advice available.

Our commitment to you:

  • We will work with you to reach an agreeable arrangement
  • We will take into account your circumstances when agreeing the terms of the repayment arrangement
  • We will pay attention to information from agreed 3rd parties that is passed on to us, with your permission
  • The information you provide to us will be treated in confidence
  • If you agree to repay your debt via a prepayment meter we will make sure you understand the charges that will be collected via the meter
  • We will not encourage you to seek short term loans or borrow to pay your energy bill

Your commitment to us:

  • To contact us as soon as you are experiencing difficulties paying for your energy, particularly if you have experienced any change in circumstances
  • To work with us to agree a repayment arrangement which will cover your ongoing usage and any outstanding debt
  • To keep to your agreed repayment plan until your arrears have been repaid or until your circumstances change for better or worse

We want to help you manage your energy debt and avoid it increasing further. We'll always try to avoid the need to take further action. However, if you don't pay your bill or come to an arrangement with us, we may fit a prepayment meter or disconnect your supply. This would involve court action and therefore incur costs for you. We may also register a payment default against you with a Credit Reference Agency, which could impact your ability to obtain credit.

Help and advice

Check that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to and take back control of your finances

Additional support for customers

The Warm Home Discount is a programme of support aimed at customers who are living in, or are at risk of, fuel poverty*. Some customers will qualify automatically for a rebate and will receive a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions telling them this. Other customers can apply for a rebate if they meet the eligibility criteria.

Maximise your income

If you are receiving a pension or state benefit or even if you are working, you may still be entitled to additional financial support from benefits or grants.

Help if you're having problems paying any of your bills

If you would like more help with free and independent debt advice about energy or other bills, then StepChange Debt Charity can help you to work out a budget and to plan for you to pay off your arrears. You just need a list of your incomings and outgoings and your energy bill handy.

Visit StepChange Debt Charity or call them on 0808 138 1111 lines open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 8am to 4pm* they can check whether you are claiming all the benefits that you are entitled to and if you could boost your income. They will also see if there are any grants available to help you.

* Calls free from all landlines and mobiles

Pay your priority debts first

Priority debts may not be your biggest debts; they are those that have the greatest consequences for you if you don't pay. These include mortgage or rent arrears, council tax arrears, court fines, maintenance arrears, TV licence and income tax. Gas and electricity arrears are also priority debts because your energy supplier can disconnect your supply if you do not pay your bill.

Universal Credit

If you are worried about the introduction of Universal Credit then you can find out more in the government's Universal Credit guide. It will tell you about eligibility and how the changes will affect you.

If you are moving over to Universal Credit you can apply for a money advance to help you during the transition period. Just ask your benefits office about "Universal Credit Advance".

Crisis Loans and Budgeting Loans

If you are experiencing temporary payment difficulties, you can get help with your benefits through Crisis Loans and Budgeting Loans.  The following websites have information on how to apply for these loans:-

* A household is said to be in fuel poverty if it needs to spend more than 10% of its income on fuel to maintain a satisfactory heating regime (usually 21 degrees for the main living area, and 18 degrees for other occupied rooms).

Know Your Rights

We are here to help you manage your energy day-to-day. All energy suppliers including ScottishPower provide additional services to help and support our vulnerable customers. Please watch Ofgem’s Know Your Rights video and contact us if you need assistance.



Updated by spower | 29 Mar 22

Labels: None

1 of 5 users found this helpful