Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I notify ScottishPower of a bereavement?

If you have recently lost a loved one and need to change any account information, we have a dedicated team at your service to help you through this difficult time.

You can contact us by calling 0800 074 1986 between Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5.00pm or you can email us contactus@scottishpower.com.

To do this you'll need the following information:

  • Your relationship to the account holder
  • Account holder details (ScottishPower account number or address)
  • The date the person passed away
  • A contact phone number for you
  • Up to date meter readings for the property
  • Who will now be responsible for the energy bills

If you don't have this information to hand, please try and gather as much as possible to allow us to help.

We may ask for a Letter of Confirmation or a grant of Representation from the Personal Representative of the Estate or Power of Attorney. In certain circumstances we may also ask for a copy of the death certificate.

What happens next?

We will close the deceased person’s energy account and issue the final bill to the person responsible for dealing with their affairs.

We will then either open a new account for someone who is staying at the property or, if the property is now vacant, either in the name of the person dealing with the affairs of the deceased or as otherwise directed by an executor. This is to cover any energy used in the property, as well as standing charges, until the property has been sold and the new owners have moved in.

If there is more than one individual named on the account, but they are not the account holder, we will close the existing account and open a new one.

If the deceased does not own the property, we would open a new account in the name of the property owner e.g. the landlord, council or housing association.

Updated by spower | 31 Jan 22

Labels: None

0 of 0 users found this helpful