Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

140£ bill/month for a Studio Flat ??!!

posted by Babugo | 8 months ago

Hello

I have an ELECTRICITY ONLY plan
I have a huge problem with my bills and scottish power doesnt want to help me
So basically, i moved on my actuall flat 5 months ago. 

After updating the meter reader (the first month) I was asked to pay 99£ (for about 18 days)
So I contacted them, they told me to keep updating my Meter Reader and they will contact me back to see if anything is wrong.
Now i'm on the 5th month and 710£ in debt !! Still no answer from them.

You have to understand that i'm ALONE, in a STUDIO flat:
2 Heat (I use only one, and only at night) 1 oven (never use) no TV and LED lights with low consumption.
This is ridiculous, i'm paying more than a familly on a 6 bedroom house ??

Can someone help me? Do you think it's too much or not?
How much are you paying and how many person are in your home ?

Thank you

15 comments

posted by Jonnel | 8 months ago
Re: 140£ bill/month for a Studio Flat ??!!
@Babugo First thing I would check was that there was no debt on the address from a previous tenant. That's not unknown. Unless it was brought to SP's attention they wouldn't raise it with you. Second, check the opening meter readings you gave have been recorded and actually appear on your bill, then you can check the following bills have not been estimated. Thirdly, check your tariff, it could be making a difference but admittedly, probably not that much..

posted by Davc | 8 months ago

Hi, that does not sound right, my house electricity costs about £300 a year, all the heating is by gas. Your meter readings tell you how many kWh units you have used.  Check the latest reading and take away the first reading.  For a small flat for 5 months it should be in the range of 500 or less. This will tell you if your meter readings are right. It might be you are sending them wrong numbers?  

@Babugo Just a thought... You say you have two heaters but only use one, and that one at night. It's not a storage heater is it? If you were on Eco7 and charging it up during the day when you're at work you would use the heat at night when you're home, with the result of using expensive rate electric rather than cheap rate. You're probably not, but I thought I'd mention...
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 8 months ago

Hi babugo, another thought, when you read a meter you should not include any numbers in red or after a decimal point at the end. So 1234.567 is entered as 1234. Also you need to use all the spaces on line, so if there are 5 boxes you should enter 01234.   Maybe you know this but it can lead to sending in a wrong reading. 

Hi

The graph is telling me that i used from September an average 28 units per day. The higher month was October with 1144 (38 units per day)
I have no idea if it's too much or not. I came from France few months ago this is my very first flat :/

I'm working at night, So when I come back home, it's 6am so technically i use it only at day

My meter has 5 digits.

It's actually at 30958 (5 days ago it was at 30718) was does that mean? This is my very first time I leave alone i have no idea

Bill.pngBills.png
I have no idea if this is "normal" or not to pay such amount. Maybe i'm just worried for nothing beacuse i keep comparing to France and looking on other websites. I just dont understand how can I pay such amount whil i see people paying 40£ or 50£ per month

@Babugo You're on an expensive tariff there.... and electric storage heating (if that's what you have) is the most expensive way to heat your home. Added to that your standing charge is double what I pay perhaps that's your problem - your tariff. If you were on an Economy 7 tariff you would be able to use the cheaper night rate to your benefit as you work nights, but as it is you're paying top rate for something you can get cheaper. Your usage is 3 to 4 times more than I use for a three bed detached family home, but then my heating is gas - and though the unit rate is a tenth what you pay, I use more.
Just to clarify - if you DO have storage heaters make sure the one you dont use is turned off, then read you meter, turn the other one off for a day (if its not too cold) then read you meter again. Your reading should barely change. If its hardly changed, its your storage heaters that are causing it.