Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by FFF | 6 days ago
Re: 140£ bill/month for a Studio Flat ??!!
I am having a similar issue with SP. moved to them 6 months ago and they have nearly tripled my direct debit with no notification of increased usage. Raised a complaint but SP don’t want to respond or attempt to help. They have plunged me into over £300 debt without even a warning of the increase. I will be contacting them continually until they pick up my complaint along with sending a complaint to there regulator also.

posted by Davc | 6 days ago

From November to end Dec you used about 1200kWh, that is almost my annual total. It is your electric heaters causing this. Storage heaters heat up at night and blow out warm air in the day. Maybe your two heaters are heating up every night and you do not use the heat. You must definitely completely unplug and isolate one of the heaters,  Also you could ask SP to transfer you to an Economy 7 tariff, this gives cheap night electricity. Your meter may need to be changed and you should ask your landlord about changing.   It would be cheaper for you now to isolate both the heaters and buy an ordinary fan heater in a shop and only use it when you need it.

Highlighted

posted by Babugo | 6 days ago
Thank you so much for your help
So if I good understand, I have to change my tarif rate right ? Also I've never approved any tarif since when I moved here, I instantly recieved a letter with the bill few days after someone came to read my meter

Do you think I will be able to change the tarif and pay the bills of the last month with the new rate or I still have to pay the £700 ?

posted by Babugo | 6 days ago
I never use them at night
When I go to work none is turned on. When I come back from work at 6 am. I turn one of them ON at half power and it says for 6 hours.

Then when I wake up I turn it off. (1pm or 2pm)

Do you think that my MR is linked to more than one studio (there are 10 in the house) or its not possible ?

posted by Jonnel | 5 days ago
@Babugo First, the good news - SP can change your tariff to any they currently offer, but you need to work out which one is best for you. If your meter can support Economy7 then of course an Eco7 tariff is the one to go for. If your meter cannot support Eco7, SP may be able to swap it out for you but they may charge. You need to talk to them right away. The bad news is if it's the storage heaters that have run up your bill it's more than likely SP will want it paying off as charged, but a payment schedule could be sorted out.

To clarify the storage heater issue - when storage heaters are using electric they are not giving out heat. Storage heaters are usually "on" during the night when the seven hours of cheap rate electric charges them up with heat, then they turn "off" and (usually) during the day, release their heat to the house. When they are hot they're not using electric. If you're not on Eco7, storage heaters are incredible expensive to run.

posted by Jonnel | 5 days ago
@FFF Forgive me for stating the obvious but have you checked your account balance? Just because your DD has gone up does not mean you have actually spent that money on fuel. SP like to raise DD values for winter so people don't fall behind into debt but rarely lower the DD's in winter even if people's account balances go into massive credit. Check it out - if you are in a big CREDIT balance, you can get a refund and ease your finances.