Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | 2 years ago
Re: 2 electric meters, one property
Two meters probably means 2 accounts and two lots of standing charge. However each meter will charge kWh separately so you are not paying twice for the kWh. Check your bills and see if the two meters are shown separately with their separate standing charges. You could have one removed but it would probable need an electrician to sort out the circuits for you.

posted by Ratchete | 3 months ago

I'm currently with SSE not with SP but we have 2 meters and one MPAN ie only one supply so only one set of standing charges.  It is also a business supply to a farm; although I have been in contact with SSE and can change it to a domestic supply if that is what we want to do.  For us, the 2 meter situation is a legacy from when 'we' had machinery that required a soft start using 2 suppplies then droppping down to one. We no longer have the mixer in question (actually we've never had it, grandad did). So having 2 meters might be a leftover from when the property was a working farm/croft, not just to do with economy 7 or 10.  You might think that having 2 meters had something to do with the house being on one and the steading being on the other. That may be the case in some situations but not in our case. For us there is no rhyme/reason as to what is wired to which meter.  What we have is not a problem for us. Unfortunately your only recourse to sort out any problems you do have is to engage with your supplier and hang on in there until it's sorted.  A full check and condition report from a competent electrician who can explain what you have and why may help your case with your supplier.

posted by Malc1244 | 2 months ago
Tricky one , considering when really the new meter was put in, the old one should be taken away. I Have had this problem in two properties. And on both times I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to remove it. As did you now that because you have 2 meters you can not change supplier. I think Scottish Power deliberately leave the second meters in many properties to keep hold of thiers customer. You'll see what I mean when you try and get rid of the second meter with Scottish Power customer services , don't give as they will stall you all the way , good luck

posted by Chutney86 | A month ago
Hi there,
I have a similar issue. But I have one meter and 2 MPANS. British Gas/Scottish Gas are charging me twice for standing charges and twice on kWh.
I only have one meter in the property and no storeage heaters etc. It’s a semi detached house. No out buildings. I asked the landlord why would there be two MPANS and he has no idea, it’s a historical issue.
I have told The company several times of this. They told me it was sorted and now I have received a bill of them still charging for two standing charges.
I am getting quite stressed with this now as with the recent price increase specifically for electric standing charges.
Has anyone any extra advice as to what I can do?

posted by DavC1 | A month ago

@Chutney86   Very unusual, do both the meters record the same readings?    British Gas are usually very good in these situations and I think you need an engineers visit to sort it out.  Maybe if you apply for a smart meter the issue would get dealt with when the new meter is installed.   I'm sure they would not install 2 smart meters. 

@DavC1 it’s one meter that has 3 different readings on.
They have been most unhelpful with me and very dismissive.
I was thinking about going down the smart meter route

posted by DavC1 | A month ago

@Chutney86   Thanks for the reply, your house must have had night storage heaters originally.  Yes I think a new smart meter would sort it out. 

@DavC1 thanks for replying.
Perhaps it may have. I know the previous tenants had the same issue. It’s rather annoying that British Gas have not sorted this out for me.

posted by Nigel1 | 2 weeks ago

We're having the same problem, i.e., 2 electric meters, one property, two accounts, 2 lots of standing charges. Historically one of the meters was originally part of a granny flat which has long been incorporated into the main house, but SP is saying it's impossible to merge the accounts so we have to keep paying 2 lots of standing charges on the same property. Needless to say, with the current price rises, this has become a serious problem. Any suggestions from anyone on this forum? Many thanks. 

posted by DavC1 | 2 weeks ago

@Nigel1    Difficult problem, but you could close the granny flat account and get an electrician to supply those rooms from the main consumer unit fed by the main meter.     Alternatively get away from Scottish Power because they are hopeless at problems like yours,   Octopus Energy would sort it out quickly for you.