Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

£400+ in credit but direct debit needs to increase ?????

posted by rufford155 | 9 months ago

Just entered my meter readings, the bill showed over £400 in credit but said my direct debit has to increase !!!!

How can this be?  Shouldn't they be paying me ?  Absolute lunacy !

Rang them but was told it's all because of our usage and if I didn't have the credit it would have to increase more.

I told them there's something seriously wrong with their calculations.

Certainly it's all biased in their own favour.

I am so angry I shall be contacting the ombudsman  and my MP.

13 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 9 months ago
Re: £400+ in credit but direct debit needs to increase ?????

@rufford155   The new DD calculations are annoying a lot of people. So much that people are switching to a cash account. This gives rise to large bills in winter but if you make your own savings it seems to be better than keeping SP in credit continuously. It is reported that other suppliers are doing the same in a bid to boost cash flow. Retail energy is said to be unprofitable these days because of the price cap on standard variable rates. 

DD used to be a sensible way of evening out large bills by building a credit in the summer ready for the winter. But now it seems they want you to be in credit all the time even in winter. 

Highlighted

posted by Brownie | 8 months ago

Dave,  I wish someone could tell me how to get a senior manager to review a complain that has been ongoing for some time.  I was almost £400 in credit [aid my bill and was still £300 in credit but Scottish Power insisted DD should increase almost double.  Phone call after phone call and complaint e-mails are absolutely useless as no one in authroity seems to want to apologiise or get involved.  Disgusting way to treat customers

@rufford155 wrote:

Just entered my meter readings, the bill showed over £400 in credit but said my direct debit has to increase !!!!

How can this be?  Shouldn't they be paying me ?  Absolute lunacy !

Rang them but was told it's all because of our usage and if I didn't have the credit it would have to increase more.

I told them there's something seriously wrong with their calculations.

Certainly it's all biased in their own favour.

I am so angry I shall be contacting the ombudsman  and my MP.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 8 months ago

@Brownie   I dont know how to get a senior manager to look at your DD calculation. You can check the correctness if you take your next 3 winter month costs ( could add up to £1000 in a big house), subtract yoour £400, and see what your monthly DD needs to be, it would probably be around £200 a month. Do these numbers look anything like your situation?  It all depends on how much gas+electricity you use in the winter, and it is quite possible for your DD to need an increase even if you are in credit.

Another option for you is to stop the DD and go onto quarterly bills. This would mean very high bills in the winter but you could save up for them and never be keeping SP in unnecessary credit with your money.    Good Luck

Highlighted

posted by Thetwodevils | 8 months ago
I've just had the same problem. Have you just changed supplier or even just got a gas smart meter put in. If so check that you are not paying imperial rates which is the old 5 numbers. The new smart meter is metric m2 if so you are paying 3 x the normal price for your gas. Please check to see if you have the letters m2 normally on the to right of your meter. Just been given back £650+ for 9 months
Highlighted

posted by Brownie | 8 months ago
Thetwodevils. None of this applies to me. I have kept my account in credit for some 6-7 years . I don't have a smart meter - in fact I refuse to have one judging by problems that neighbours have had. I have not changed suplier and I have not changed my account. I have not changed my preferences i.e. I prefer to keep my credit to lower my DD. I have finally managed to speak with a manager but Scottish Power do not make complaining easy and their off shore chat line is worse than useless so NEVER use it. Of course I have the option to change to standing order rather than DD which I may well do but will also investigate an alternative supplier.
Highlighted

posted by Weeman | 8 months ago
I have a similar problem
Currently almost £300 in credit - DD was £35 per month - when I requested £100 refund my charges were upped to £49
Credit continues to rise
Why ?
Highlighted

@Davc
@Brownie
In order to get a senior manager to ignore you - try https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/directorsupport.process?execution=e3s1
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 8 months ago

@Weeman   Wow that is a very tiny bill, only about £400 a year and you have most of that covered as credit.  You could speak to customer services and point out that you do not need to keep that much credit in your account.  You are classified as a very low user, only about one third of average costs which are £1200 a year.

Highlighted

Yes - I also receive the Warm Homes Payment (£145) - but that has not appeared this year yet !