Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Best deal to change tariff, what a joke!!!

posted by Simkaz | 3 years ago

My fixed deal ends 31st Jan 18 so thought I would check out what is the best deal available on the "Are you on the best deal change tariff" option on Scottish Power's website. The best deal came up as £1,687.10per year fixed for 12mths. I then went and checked some comparison sites and found a deal with SP which is fixed for 13mths at £1514 per year but including HomeEnergy Plus Boiler Cover.

As a long term SP customer I would have expected a decent deal on your own website and not on a comparison site. 

If I am going to fill in all my info on the comparison site I may as well leave Scottish Power as other suppliers are quoting me just £1300 per year!!!

Come on Scottish Power, get your act together....

Very dissapointing!! 

35 comments
Highlighted

posted by DarrenK | 3 years ago
Re: Best deal to change tariff, what a joke!!!

Hi Simkaz,

When you did the comparison site quote did you enter you bedroom/people in house amounts? This could be why.

Get best deal will show prices based on your actual usage and not the estimates that these websites say you will get if you have e.g 3 bedroom with 2 people in a detached house.

Cheers.

Highlighted

posted by  Chrisb | 3 years ago

Also worth noting if you were logged in to your account the price you are shown included your credit/debt balance  position, price comparison websites won't show you this.

Highlighted

DarrenK, No I entered our exact kwh usage for the past year.

ChrisB, I was logged into my account and am currently £523 in credit, so hows that affect my quote from SP?
Highlighted

posted by  Eilidh | 3 years ago

Hi @Simkaz, we've had a quick look at your account and it turns out that it is a different tariff you are seeing on the broker site to our own site.  The tariff available on the broker site is called "Online Fixed Saver January 2019" and the one on our site is called "Online Fix & Save Jan 19 v2".  The tariff on the broker site is a short term exclusive tariff and is available to our existing and new customers.  You can select this tariff through the broker site and will automatically convert onto it without having to go through the process of leaving ScottishPower. 

Highlighted

posted by JoeM | 3 years ago

I want to know why Scottish Power does not allow energy users to browse through options of switching tariff rates online instead of indicating that cannot be done and therefore we have to call Scottish Power. I called them today as my Help the Cancer tariff rate is due to end on 31 January 2018. My previous monthly payments were £76 monthly but after I provided meter readings online this rate was reduced to £42 monthly as I am in credit of over £300. When I asked about the best tariff rate I could get after31 January 2018, I was told that it would be the basic tariff rate which meant my monthly payment going up to £87. Your having a laugh Scottish Power. I'll wait until closer to 31 January 2018 and provide read meter readings then see what difference that makes, if any.

Highlighted

Eilidh , My point is loyal customers should be offered at least the best deal currently on the market and if I have to go through the rigmarol of filling in all the info on a comparison site to get the better deal I may as well change provider and save an extra £150-£200 per year compared to SP's deal.

Highlighted

posted by  Eilidh | 3 years ago

Hi @JoeM, this is unusual as we have the "Change Your Tariff" option within your online account, which allows you to see all of our available deals.  This is what the option looks like within your online account:CMT.JPG

Can I check was it within this section you were shown a message to call our customer service team or was it somewhere else on our website?

Highlighted

posted by GAZZA | 3 years ago

Re: Best deal to change tariff, 

a)Quote from uSwitch to "bulb Vari-Fair " ..3 bed semi detatched paying £100 per month (average monthly payment to Scottish Power dual fuel) offer me a £312.40 per year saving, mionthly direct debit £75.47.

b) Qoute to continue on a 2 year fixed price with Scottish Power using the past years average figures is £1724 per year with a £143.7 monthly direct debit.

Is Scottish Power's quote for a 3 bed semi detatched in comparison with the above uSwitch quote,  are the tariff charges higher lower than the quote from bulb Vari-Fair ???

Highlighted

posted by JoeM | 3 years ago
Eilidh Yes it was after I clicked on that option and provided personal details in the options from clicking on that link. It is always a con to come when you are advised to call Scottish Power to discuss new tariff options as you know you won't be advised on the cheapest tariff rate. I tried last year to switch energy supplier but this can't be done as I have 2 meters and my preferred energy supplier and others don't want to know you if you have 2 meters. It will only be possible to switch energy supplier if I can get a single dual controlled meter.