Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Dearkheart | 2 years ago
Re: Bills being issued more frequently than tariff terms

A while back I was getting monthly bills even though I'm quarterly (every three months) but thankfully it was sorted quickly and without bailiffs being mentioned! It was some moronic **bleep** at the Glasgow office that took it upon himself to change my tariff without as much as a by or leave! Anyway if this happens again contact Ofcom!. So don't sit crying about it! Take action and find out your consumer rights!  

posted by alanbeeb | 2 years ago
I am now in the same position, a quarterly cash tariff customer (and have been on this tariff at the same address now for 17 years) and every month I am getting calls from Scottish Power's Collections department telling me I am overdue on a bill and need to pay them immediately. Even though my next bill is not due yet! And every time I explain this to them they actually bother to look at the account history and they go "oh, I don't understand why the system is telling me to call you". So their billing process is broken and the result is that honest customers are getting threatening phone calls and threats about debt collectors being involved. Which is of course completely unacceptable.

To make things worse, I am now not getting the quarterly email reminding me to send my meter readings in, they are only sending the email to tell me an estimated bill has been raised for me. This morning I had a call from the collections department asking me to pay immediately even though the estimated bill email was only sent to me 4 days ago - and I have not been at home to take my own meter readings since then! 4 days and they've set the dogs on me already!

posted by ItsRKM | 2 years ago

I can only suggest that you do the same as I did and move to another supplier as soon as possible.

Scottish Power's billing system is faulty and they won't fix it until its effect starts hitting their bottom line.  The stress caused by their wholly unjustified threats to invoke debt collectors isn't worth the trivial savings on their tarrifs.

Take actual meter readings when you switch over to the new supplier as well.

posted by asda | A year ago
sp don't care about there customers unless you tell them your switching

posted by asda | A year ago
well said and chase them up for compo you deserve it

posted by GreyEnergy | A year ago
I have the same Quarterly cash payment. Scottish Power has the audacity to send me a threat letter saying I am not paying my bills when I am supposed to pay it Quarterly! I got my bill every month and I told the online chat support team and they assured me that it is quarterly. But I got another letter threatening me saying "Urgent action required
A debt collection agency is about to contact you which will incur you charges"
Like WTF!
I just got in touch a few days ago with the support team and I get another more threatening letter.
This sort of bullying is just BS and I got tired of contacting SP.
I got fed up talking to SP and just paid my due bill which they auto generated, 1 month ahead.

F@$k you Scottish Power and your Scottish accent helpline

posted by bailey | A year ago
quarterly bills should be collected every 13 weeks not 11weeks because of this direct debits collected show money owning. this is the result only collecting 2 payments in some cases

posted by Davc | A year ago

@bailey   From comments here SP seem to be sending bills at shorter intervals than quarterly in order to improve their cashflow.  Also if a meter reading is submitted it will always raise a new bill regardless of a quarterly agreement.

posted by Paulshaw962 | A year ago
I swapped energy companies to get a better savings the company I was with were always offering good deals good tariffs fixed rates in 5 year I never went over 15 pounds a week but always paid 20 .then out of the blue somehow needed to start paying double 30 per week so I decided to look for a better deal Scottish power offered me a 1. Year no fixed deal the tariffs they offered me that I would be 500 plus better off over the year which looked a good deal then I got my first monthly bill plus I've got smart meter but for some reason I got a bill for the sum of 163 pounds which was more than my worst bill from my previous energy supplier and at the time of the year I don't use much gas I'm supposed to be 500 plus a year better off but I'm going to end up paying double than my last energy supplier not happy tried to get to the bottom of this but basically got sidetracked with know explanation and if you want to leave it going to cost me 100 pounds feel like I've been had

posted by Davc | A year ago

@Paulshaw962  These estimates are often based on 'typical user' data and may not apply to your situation.  The only way to compare is to look at the daily fixed charge and kWh rates for your old and new contracts.  This information is always available on your bill statements.  If you are not happy with your transfer you have 14 days cooling-off period to cancel it.