Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken meter and repair or replacement

posted by Dillimom | A year ago

HI,

our meter has no reading on it when we press buttons we get the word "credit" on the screen, but yet our usage on our bills say that we are using more than we have in the past. How do we get a replacement meter or this one repaired? I have called SP but they are currently closed due to this coronavirus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

7 comments

Top answer

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Broken meter and repair or replacement

@Dillimom   Your meter is probably not broken, they can display many messages depending on which buttons are used, normally the buttons only show the meter reading.   Look at your bills and check the meter readings against your current reading to see if there is an estimate or mistake.

posted by samh | A year ago

Hi All, my smart meter turns itself on and off all of the time, its like it is trying to update or something. 

This is a continuous cycle. 

Recon i need a replacement?

posted by Davc | A year ago

Smart meters never turn on and off, you are talking about the display unit, which often struggles to communicate with the meter.  Everyone calls the display a meter, but it is not, it's only a dumb monitor unit. 

posted by Clydesider1 | A year ago
On the 8th of March I was to have my meter changed but the engineer the wrong meter was ordered phoned SP & stated that they will phone to arrange when a new can be installed we have waiting for the call & nothing has happened so we like some movement on this matter as soon as possible as it costing us much more than we would like to pay

posted by StephenDolan | 7 months ago
Re: Broken meter

My meter has now been broken for over a year. When are you going to sort this out.

posted by Paraone | 4 weeks ago

I am in Dispute with Scottish Power as my meter broke down in MAY 2020. They will not send anyone even now to replace it or give me a SMART METER, they tell me My house is not Smart Ready whatever that means. and they do estimate readings.How do they get a real reading if the meter is broken,and how do they know if they have over or under charged me. When they put a new meter in where do they get a figure to start with.

posted by DavC1 | 4 weeks ago

@Paraone   It is one of the basic duties of an energy provider to provide a working meter at a  property.  You need to push harder and insist that SP provide a working meter.. If your property is not suitable for a smart meter then SP must fit a conventional meter.   You may be in for a big refund if they have been overestimating your usage.