Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by rysis89 | 2 weeks ago
Re: CANNOT Change My Tariff!!

I locked in to a fixed rate contract in March due to the ever changing market. I have since discovered the standard variable rate is cheaper. Scottish Power are now sayin I can't switch to the standard variable rate as it isn't a deal or tarriff offered. Safe to say I am not accepting that answer and will be pursuing it further. It is a tarriff so I should be able to change over to it regardless. They tried to fob me off with saying check your T&Cs, no  where is it written i can't move to a variable rate and even states I won't pay cancellation fees moving  within Scottish Power. The variablerates are half per unit what I am paying on the fixed. I trusted Scottish Power as an exisitng customer and feel they withheld informaion when selling me my current tarriff. 

posted by DavC1 | 2 weeks ago
Check the terms of your March contract, the new fixed rate deals allow you to leave if you pay £150 per fuel, so you are basically locked in. If you have no fixed deal you automatically get the standard variable rate.

posted by rysis89 | 2 weeks ago
Read my T&Cs. I have £100 per fuel exit fees unless I move on to a new Scottish Power tariff, which will cost me nothing. I am asking to move to their standard rate tariff and they are refusing to do it even though it is available for sale on the website.

posted by DavC1 | 2 weeks ago

@rysis89      Yes,  you are supposed to move to any SP tariff without penalty, but is SVR an SP tariff?  They probably argue it is an industry tariff, it's a very unclear legal point.     The fact still remains, nobody should start a new fixed tariff,  just do nothing at the end of your tariff and you get SVR automatically,  but you did choose a new fixed tariff, so it was your own decision. 

posted by rysis89 | 3 days ago
I feel like I was mis-sold as I was no made aware that defaulting was the better option. There was no mail correspondence and certainly nothing from the sales person I spoke to.

posted by DavC1 | 3 days ago

@rysis89    You have a 14 day cooling-off period if you want to cancel a fixed rate deal.  SP are being naughty by not telling people that the standard default rate is the cheapest, and you only have to not-renew in order to get it.