Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago
Re: CRedit not yet refunded from Extra Energy
@bri One of the problems you're going to come up against not paying SP until you've got your ExEn balance is that ExEn and SP are really two different entities. What ExEn owe you is a separate matter to the energy you've used while you've been a customer of SP. SP is only really contractually bound to Ofgem to honour your ExEn credit and I don't believe any time limit was ever specified in which those credits would be returned. So you can still be in debt to SP whilst being a creditor of ExEn's. And SP could enforce the debt.

I realise it's infuriating, but remember, if Ofgem had given you to a supplier who said 'no, we can't honour the credit balances of ExEn customers' Ofgem would have had to levy the entire industry to cover your loss and there's no telling how long that would have taken.

posted by bri | 3 months ago

@Jonnel Yeah - I know that SP has a right to chase me - they prob don't know (or don't care) if I EE owes me a penny or I owe them £1,000s.

My massive problem (I don't know if you read my post a few back) is that the account holder has passed away. (My name isn't even Bri(?!).  So whilst I can just pay the balance on my debit card.  When the EE credit does get loaded on - I'll obviously then be able to run that credit down a few months to get my money back over time.  But that keeps me on SP longer than I want to be.

If I tell SP that Bri is passed away - they then chase the estate for the money and I have to explain to my Sister-In-Law who's handling the estate why I haven't been paying for any energy in all this time.

If I tell SP Bri is passed away, pay the balance, either change the account to my name or leave SP.  By the time the EE credit gets refunded, I just get a cheque for: "Exors of..." which I have to give my Sister-In-Law when I could of been using that money to get free energy for a few months.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

Hi @Jonnel  my view of SP passing on EE credits is that there was no money left in the EE accounts and all the credits due to customers will be levied on the industry by Ofgem. SP will certainly not be paying out EE credits out of their own pocket, SP can only pay out when they are given access to the EE final statements, and after they have received funds from Ofgem.   As you and I have said many times SP is not holding on to any money, and exEE customers should not blame SP for what has happened. But SP should have communicated better and explained the situation.  

@bri   If I understand right you are living in the deceased person's property?  If it were me I would pay the bills to keep things simple, I don't really see what the problem is if you are using the gas and electricity and can pay the bill.  When the EE saga has been resolved you can inform SP about the bereavement and register the account in your name.  My advice is to pay the bill.

@bri Ah. Then I'm sorry, I can't condone anything you've done or are currently doing. Allowing Scottish Power to continue to supply electricity to a property when the person they believe is the account holder is deceased might actually be - I believe - a criminal offence. I think SP might look at it as Abstraction of Electricity/Gas and I strongly urge you to contact them IMMEDIATELY to tell them the acount holder has passed away. I think you might find yourself in an awful lot of trouble if you don't tell them, and if it gets to cash refunding NOT going to the account holder's exectutor, the trouble might only get worse.

@Davc That's one way of interpreting the SP SOLR bid, however the Ofgem release of Jan 17th 2019 stated:

"All of the suppliers who were willing to honour credit balances indicated their intention to use the levy to cover some or all the costs of honouring credit balances through the levy. Most suppliers intended to use the levy to cover all of the costs of honouring credit balances, with a minority offering to contribute to these costs. Scottish Power proposed to make a substantial contribution toward covering credit balances, thereby claiming the least through the levy overall and minimising costs to all consumers."

So SP certainly expected to dip into their own pockets to fund the credit balances - the main reason I've played devil's advocate for them over their postion the last few months - I can't abide misplaced criticism. People don't seem to have realised that SP didn't have to fund ANY of the money customers thought they'd lost to ExEn's closure - SP's fault, really for poor comms - but despite how much people don't like to admit SP are giving them money, free gratis, it had to be said.

In reality, I believe it's all been a calculated marketing ploy. SP have been losing customers historically, so to suddenly get the opportunity to win 108,000 in one go must ahve seemed too good an opportunity to pass up. I suspect they've more than made up for their losses by the customers they'll keep AND also by the tariffs they've been charging these new customers... AND, I suspect, there's more money yet to come to them from the administrators of ExEn's accounts, never mind the levy top-up sitting in the wings.

Thanks @Jonnel I did not read the Ofgem statement, and I am amazed that SP have volunteered to cover the EE credits in part. It makes it all the more ironic that SP have been so heavily criticised. SP are still awaiting the final statements from PWC so cannot yet make a start on the credits, I hope all the contributors to this thread understand now what SP have done. 

posted by bri | 3 months ago

@JonnelYes of course I know what I'm doing is naughty.  I work in complaints for another Big 6 and have 12 years in the industry - so I know what the Dunning collection cycles are and I think I know how long I can push it for before I'll neeed to make a payment.

The account holder was my Dad and he paid the bills while I lived in the property.  I know what I should do - but's it's not what I want to do - I need to keep that EE credit out of the hands of the Executors. My Dad told me I could have it if I got it back before he passed.  Why can't Peter just be robbed to pay Paul?  Would be so much easier.

It's the principle.  Why should I pay £260 to SP when I know for a fact that the Admins for EE have £300+ sitting there?  If I just get more time I can walk away in glorious victory having not given SP a penny for 6 months - and SP will still get their money. The administators could bill the Final EE account today if they wanted to.  They could give that credit balance to SP today if they wanted to.

Why is taking so long for PWC to final bill the accounts? I didn't see the guy on Watchdog.  There was nothing wrong with anything with my Dad's EE account.  I managed it - I gave the readings, the final readings and  the Metering info is all correct.  I could walk into the administrators office right now, sit at a desk and Final bill that account.  They have had since last November.

And SP aren't exonorated either - they took so long setting up the accounts from Last Resort that my Dad only made March and Aprils DD before he passed.  If SP had got their fingers out - he could have made payments for Dec, Jan, Feb as well and the debit balance wouldn't be so high.

And yes, I could have told him to make manual payments for over winter, but we were never advised of that - I can't remember SP ever saying:  "You should consider making manual payments to cover winter use while we set up your DD."  And judging by the comments on here - alot of people have accured high Debit balances as a result.

posted by Hereward33 | 3 months ago

posted by Billybluebell | 3 months ago

I have just been on a online chat with Scottish power . They said extra energy credits will be done by the end of August