Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | 6 months ago
Re: CRedit not yet refunded from Extra Energy

Search online for Ofgem and Energy Ombudsman, there are clear instructions on both web sites.  There are hundreds of people in your situation so I think your best action is to just wait for the legal insolvency processes to work through. 

Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 6 months ago

@dianered There's a couple things you need to know before heading down the Ombudsman route.

Before The Energy Ombudsman will entertain a complaint against an energy firm you need to have fully complied with that firm's complaints' procedure. If you haven't, the OS will just ask you to follow that until you get to the end and have either received a 'deadlock letter' or are in a deadlock situation. When you contact the OS they'll ask you to create an account and enter all you supporting evidence onto that, so there's a lot of attaching pdf files and scanning/uploading of paper letters etc for you to do in order to give them ALL your supporting evidence, so it's a bit of a bind. Should be worth it though.

The OS don't work very quickly, but by phone/email or letter depending on what you ask for, and once you've been assigned a case worker he/she will stay with you until they come to their decision. Once they've come to a decision on your case you'll have the option to accept or decline/appeal it (ONCE, and once only) if you don't agree with it. The OS decision is supposed to be upheld by the energy firm if you agree, but in reality The OS has no teeth to enforce their rulings, so getting your decision sorted remains at the beck and call of the energy firm. If you don't like what The OS decides and appeal it, and they uphold their original decision, you can't re-open the case with them again, so you need to make a definite decision if you end up there - the only next step is court.

Check out user reports on The Energy Ombudsman on Trustpilot before you go into all that work though. I wish I had...

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

posted by Phil87 | 6 months ago

I have recently now left scottish power and am still waiting for a refund from my account with extra energy.

When my account got transferred i got told i would pay a certain amount per month until i could then leave. 3 months later i was able to leave and got told i owed £150.00 more than what was agreed. Took me a while to get through but then after numerous phone calls i got some sort of response to this. I was informed that they didnt setuo my direct debit properly so i now had to pay the flexible rate which was over winter so i would be the one that lost out now.

Also then got told i would be getting a refund from money owed from the extra energy account but this is now about 6 weeks since i got told this and still nothing through.

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

Why is EE/SP taking so long? Is it a conspiracy by SP to steal your credit money, while also overcharging you?

Well EE went bankrupt, bust, ran out of money. The auditors then went through 110,000 accounts to sort those that owe money and those that have credit. Then they must give SP money to return to customers in credit, but what if no money is left over? Then Ofgem have guaranteed the credits will be refunded, so Ofgem have to transfer funds to SP, and surcharge all energy suppliers to get the money back. All this takes a lot of time and it is not really surprising that 6 months have passed, it could easily go on longer.

Secondly do SP rip off customers with high tariffs? Well the Big 6 do charge higher rates than small companies but typically a few hundred pounds a year on a bill of about 1500 pounds. So yes you are paying more but probably about 15%, nothing like the claims of paying 2 or 3 times as much as EE charged. Very few have actually bothered to switch tariffs within SP to a better rate, and many have left which leaves an even longer paper trail to get their credit refunded.

So let us stop all these accusations and EE customers please understand that you took a risk using a small supplier and unfortunately that risk turned wrong for you, but if you were in credit Ofgem (the government) have promised your money back. Please understand that bankruptcies take a long time to unravel.

posted by Bigalz | 6 months ago

I dispute your assertion that 6 months is an acceptable delay. I had smart meters installed by Extra Energy so an instant up to date read must have been obtained which you used to set up my Direct Debit.  If you were given a setup read then it is not rocket science to workout if there is a credit or debit.  Scottish Power were furnished with customer details, diret debit details etc.  I have done my own calculations on my reads and I am owed in excess of £300.00  As you quite rightly state I am concerned that I will in fact, by continuing  on the standard variable rate, have paid back the value of my refund in higher bills. It is rather patronising to imply it  is our fault for chosing smaller companies when we have been encouraged to do just that by the government.  Extra Energy was a small company but the customer service was far better than that received from Scottish Power.  Your claim that charges for all big companies are the same is incorrect as I can get a fixed deal with British Gas saving me £250.00 annualy. I cannot switch until this mess is sorted out which I have been promised numerous times will be asap which could be tomorrow or next year, now how long is that piece of string ?

posted by Rickster | 6 months ago

This is becoming a joke!!! First time i knew that EE had gone under is when i rang them to make a complaint about an engineer appointment not being kept at my property. I am also in credit with EE and know exactly what they owe me but just keep being told it's being sorted. It's disgusting how you get treated this way especially when you pay all your bills on time and now can't even changed supplier until this is sorted. So frustrated with this load of rubbish and someone needs to STEP UP AND TAKE CONTROL OF THIS SHAMBLES!!!!!

posted by beau | 6 months ago

Despite numerous phone calls as everyone has said nothing has happened apart from ScottishPower taken my bank details and money but no bill or money I am owed from extra energy I think they are just keeping us on high tariffs knowing we can not change until we get our money back from extra energy 

@Rickster You CAN leave Scottish Power. As you've paid all your bills on time, you'll be paid up with them, since Ofgem gave them authority to be your supplier last November. Only people who refuse to pay for what they've used since SP took over are barred from switching.

If your bank has been paying ExEn since last November, you'll have a claim with them under FSCS regs. After you've switched supplier you'll still be entitled to your ExEn credit balance, which SP will pay at an unspecified time in the future. Unfortunately, Ofgem didn't enforce a time-scale for SP to honour ExEn credits.

@beau You CAN leave Scottish Power, and if you're still on the standard variable rate you were automatically put on when SP became your supplier last November, the sooner you leave (or switch to a more appropriate tariff) the better.

In order to switch, most people just need to be up to date with their payments, not be in a time-sensitive contract and not have been in debt with ExEn when they folded. There are a few other more specific reasons why people can't switch, and only you will know if you're in that boat, but if you don't think you should be barred, sort out a new supplier anyway, from uSwitch or any of the other comparison sites, apply to change and see what the new supplier says. Switching is driven by your NEW chosen company, so the onus is on them to sort things out and get you as one of their paying customers as quick as possible, so they'll do a better job of getting you on board than SP will do of letting you go. If there's a problem you need to sort out before you can switch, your NEW supplier will tell you what it is and then you can do something about it.

posted by Tess18 | 6 months ago

Has anyone received their refunds yet? I think i am due one as had a credit with them but still nothing.