Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | 3 months ago
Re: Cancelling my contract

@cheryl    Tell customer services on Monday. 

posted by Autumntop | 3 months ago
I joined Scottish Power last week and the Account set up correctly. I was asked for my readings and found I could not input them. I downloaded the app and again tried to send my readings as requested and was told there was an error and try again later. Two days have past and it is still the same. Today I have decided to cancel my Scottish Power account and remain with my existing employer and searched the Help box to find a number to ring. As soon as they knew I was cancelling, I was able to speak and explain to someone. I was told that the apps did not work until you have actually gone over to them and the lady said I could give my readings to her, which I did. We shall see what happens now. Not a good start!

posted by MSC | 3 months ago

Good luck. I  tried to set up a new Dual fuel account on 4th October. They got it wrong and only did Gas so I tried to cancel the account. So far the account has still not been closed despite my many complaints and promises to sort it.

@Davc wrote:

@cheryl    Tell customer services on Monday. 

posted by Marion38 | 5 days ago
I need to tell sp that of my utilita account is up and running and wish to cancel further contract with Scottish power but have no idea how to do this
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 4 days ago

@Marion38     Utilita drives the transfer process, SP already know you have left and they will send a final bill.  You can check if you ask SP customer services. 0800 027 0072. 

posted by Jonnel | 4 days ago
@Marion38 If you used to pay SP by direct debit and you haven't already you need to cancel it at your bank as soon as possible - it's not unknown for SP to continue to take after someone's switched.

If you've balanced your switch right you should have a final bill; if not, any refund due you can be sent as a cheque.

If you cancel a dd before the final bill SP cannot use it to take a final payment or to issue a refund. Generally when closing accounts the advice is to leave dd open.

posted by Jonnel | 4 days ago
I can speak from experience and say cancelling your dirct debit as soon as possible is the best course of action to take as it prevents unauthorised/uncontrolled access to your money. Final bills from an old supplier are issued AFTER service is assumed by the new supplier so a final bill can and will be issued for payment, protecting your account from access by a company who no longer provides you a service.
Unless, of course, you want any old tom, **bleep**, or harry access to your bank account.

Have faith in the DD system Jonnel, there are very strong bank protections to stop suppliers taking money wrongly. When I changed my mobile phone contract I was glad I kept the DD open when I got i decent refund efficiently supplied.

posted by Jonnel | 3 days ago
It's not the direct debit system someone needs to have faith or mistrust in, its the competence of those who have access to it. Some people who've posted on here clearly have no idea how the direct debit arrangement works - that they're giving a blanket 'YES' to their bank to pay a firm on a list whenever that firm asks for money. So its not the system or the bank which can be at fault but a firm who asks for money when they shouldn't. In most cases it's not even the account holders fault, as a DD is mandatory for services - even if people know what they're letting themselves in for they can't avoid it. People just need a gentle reminder how to manage their money best. It's not helping when you suggest they trust businesses implicitly...

... especially one proven to be often incompetent.