Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get gas supply

posted by Roomarmoset | A year ago

Hi

I recently moved house and I tried to set up gas and electricity. I managed to do the electricity without problems but SP said I didn't have gas registered at the property.

I phoned National Grid who told me the same thing, no gas at my property. I have a gas box, a combi boiler and radiators so I must have gas?! I phoned the estate agents who contacted the previous owner who said he did not have a gas supplier. I can only assume that since the house was built 9 years ago, no one has paid gas at this house.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I'm putting money aside but as we've only had electricity in the past I have no idea how much gas to put aside. I've gone back and forth between SP and National Grid and I've come to a dead end.

5 comments

posted by  Eilidh | A year ago
Re: Cannot get gas supply

Hi @Roomarmoset, have you been able to locate where the gas meter is located in your property?  If you have, could you take a photo of it?  There should be a company name on it so if you could include this within your photo and attach it to a message on this thread.

Hi Eilidh

Please see attached photo of our meter. Unfortunately it was quite dark so I will be able to get a better photo on Friday.

Many thanks

Kate

Hi @Roomarmoset, normally we would be able to search for details of your gas meter in our systems via the meter serial number.  This is normally positioned on a label which I have pointed out with an arrow on the image you had previously attached.  Your label with your meter serial number has been removed.

fullsizeoutput_15.jpeg

Can I check do you live in a flat or maisonette?

Ah I see thank you. Is it possible that the people living here before did not pay for any gas? I've phoned their previous supplier and they only supplied the electric. It's a house we've moved into and it's only 9 years old so I'm wondering if anyone has ever sorted it out or whether they've just not bothered paying!

If it is a block of flats you live in and you pay a landlord at all it may be that there are ub-meters in the property and you are paying this within any rent payments?  If this is not the case it may be likely the previous tenant has never paid for gas as it was not initially set up properly.