Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing meters

posted by mickeyluv | 4 months ago
We moved into our new property just before Xmas 2018 and it had pay as u go meters (U have to go to the shop Everytime
U need to top il gas/electric on a key..ball ache) we have always paid via monthly direct debit with Scottish power previously. They came out to change the meters over about a week ago n said they would be in touch to set up direct debits but we still haven’t heard anything despite me chatting to customer service online..had anybody else had this n how long did it take for them to get in contact?
5 comments

posted by Poppy78 | 3 months ago
Re: Changing meters
Hi. I currently have an Economy 7 meter as have storage heaters.
Am getting GCH installed and want my meter changing - does it cost. Am having trouble getting through to customer services. Thanks

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago

@Poppy78 The simple answer is yes, but how much it's going to cost will depend on your property, when you wanted it doing and who you get to do it - can run into the hundreds of pounds. There are a lot of independent firms who supply and fit gas and electric meters and if you engage one of them they'll liaise with SP on your behalf to get it registered and confirm new opening reads. The benefit of using an independent firm is that you'll get it done to your spec and timescale. If you ask SP to do it, they'll 'negotiate' a price and timescale with you and it might not fit in with your building schedule.

Remember, you do not have to have a smart meter, but any new meter fitted will almost certainly be digital as I do not think they make the old dial analogue ones any more. SP should be able to supply you with one of these if you ask, but of course, you'll have to pay for it, and knowing SP, a couple days after they've fitted it, you'll start getting asked if you want a smart-meter fitted, 'at no extra cost'

TBH I would go down the route of seeing if SP can adjust your existing Eco7 meter to a single rate and change your tariff accordingly. Some meters can be altered this way and it would save a lot of hassle and cost if yours could.

A third alternative is to see which suppliers CAN adjust your meter and tariff, and switch to them. Some used to be able to do as simple a thing as combine the two Eco7 readings, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it would result in a cost-effective tariff.

posted by JamesAde | A month ago
I have make an appointment that an engineer is coming to change my meter on March 7th 2019 but have failed to comply to the rules and regulation and by writing to me that they sorry, also I should make another appointment and I have been trying to call several time but no avail. I am emailing you now and a direct debt has not been taken from my account. I waiting on you for an email on regard to an engineer to change my meter to pay as you go because this is a sabotage for me. I want the meter to be changed at an immediate effect because I will not pay any more . This is against the rules and regulations and I want it to be change to pay as you go and I would want a reply as soon as possible with regard James Adesanya.

posted by Soul | A month ago
I am in a similar position, meter needs to be replaced due to a power outage causing it to go into safe mode (No UI available now so can’t tell what my balance is), so booked appointment on the 13/03/2019 to replace on the 05/04/2019 between 4pm and 8pm, only to find out on the day (after waiting 30 mins on the phone after 8pm) that the 3rd party company they use for these jobs only just notified saying no resource to complete job which in my opinion is unacceptable considering how far in advance this was booked. Now I am the situation were I am being advised to continuing topping up even though I cannot even confirm the key which currently had £49 on it has actually gone through on the meter. To further the annoyance I now have to wait until the 24/04/2019 before they can attempt the replacement and after calling them today they are unable to confirm my key payment has gone through which I am pretty sure anyone else in this situation would not be comfortable keeping regular top ups. I do wonder if it worth checking to see if I can find alternative energy supplier based on this incident but will see what happens when the next appointment is due.

posted by SaleemM | A month ago

I have been trying to get the meter changed on 2 attempts since Feb 6th 2019, first time SP did not process the order properly, the seceond time after waiting in all day and callin on the 10th April at 2.20pm to confirm that the job was still happening, between 12 and 4pm , omly to find out that the meter company had told SP 2 days prior that the job was not going to take place.