Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A month ago
Re: Comfort Plus White meter

@magsmcg   You can read a lot about Comfort Plus on these chat pages, just search for it in the search bar.  As for being asked for £200 when the current reading is £79, most of the cost arises in winter, your summer usage is bound to be low, the £200 DD is to pay for the cost of the winter ahead.

Comfort Plus is an expensive system, it is nearly always cheaper to disconnect your storage heaters and use fan heaters of electric fires only in the lounge and bedroom.

The ideal solution is to convert to gas or oil heating but that involves an investment of thousands in new boilers and radiators. 

Highlighted

posted by magsmcg | A month ago
I understand what you are saying about the payments.
She has a wet electric heating system and I am giving it serious thought on installing a gas boiler.
Would I still be stuck with the comfort plus metre and find it hard to move to another supplier if I did?
Highlighted

@magsmcg   You can tell SP to remove the Comfort Plus system and replace it with a single rate meter.  They are obliged to do this if you insist.  A gas system would be much better for you.

Highlighted

posted by Sarahlily | A month ago
I had the same problem my bills were horrendous going up almost every month I tried for 2 years to get SP to change my meter and in the end had to change my heating system to gas changed my supplier once I got gas in I also have a one reading meter for my electric the difference in my bills are amazing I just needed to change my boiler as the pipes etc I had for my electric wet system was fit for purpose hope this helps

That is exactly what I am going to do! 

Have arranged for a site survey on Friday and changing to gas boiler.

Highlighted

@magsmcg   Well done,  if anyone reading this has a wet heating system using electricity they should check if a gas supply is available for the property and switch to gas ASAP. 

Highlighted

The site survey went well and everything from the old wet electric can be used for the new system so no pipes or radiators needed other than the minimal work to connect new boiler to the system. 

The gas was only recently run into the street and we have an empty metre box outside the house (all houses in the street had this work done) all I need to do now is work out how we actually get a metre installed and connected to the supply  - I have no idea qho does this work.

Highlighted

@magsmcg    If you want to stay with SP you could ask customer services about a new installation.  British Gas is recommended though, they have some very cheap offers for gas right now and their installation team is very good.  While you are enquiring you could switch the electric supply to BG at the same time.

Highlighted

posted by Sarahlily | A month ago
I contacted scottish power to come and change my meter as I was going to be using gas for my central heating and at the same time install a gas meter for me so that I could get my boiler installed the work was all done in ten days and two weeks later I contacted Octopus to change my gas and electricity to them the whole process was handled by them easy peasey hope you can have the Same experience I have more than halved my bills
Highlighted

posted by kmf | 3 weeks ago

Is that how wasy it is? I am also having gas central heating installed - it's a whole new system though.  Can SP just sort the meters out then I can switch supplier? At which point should I contact them as I don't have an installation date yet