Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Sarahlily | A year ago
Re: Comfort Plus White meter

Once I had my gas system installed a week I got in touch with octopus asking to join them and they took it from there there customer service is fantastic and I am now a happy customer can get in touch with them anytime didn't have this kind of service with Scottish Power best wishes

posted by Davc | A year ago

@kmf   I would tell SP to change the meters as soon as possible, it will take them time to react and even if they disconnect the storage heaters before the gas starts it is Summer so you do not need heat (much) until october.

posted by magsmcg | 11 months ago

Update on my situation.  

Gas is intsalled and boiler fit was straight forward.  British gas fit the metre at no charge for the gas.

SP are refusing to change the metre for the electicity because of covid. They have declined to change the tarrif and basically we are still paying the highr rate untill this work is done.

Not ideal.

posted by Davc | 11 months ago

@magsmcg   Glad you have your gas account, the electricity will cost very little now that the storage heaters are disconnected.  Make sure to send readings for electricity or they will estimate your charges according to your old storage heating setup. Basically the white meter reading should always be the same from now on, only the standard meter should be showing consumption.

posted by kmf | 10 months ago
@magsmcg How long did British Gas take to install the meter? I had to get a live dead test done, SP are quoting around 6 weeks (possibly longer due to backlogs to fit a meter) They say they can't change the electric meters at the moment due to government restrictions.

posted by Michelle68 | 2 weeks ago

I have been my rented 1 bed flat for 5 years and since then I have been trying to get help and information on this system and why my bills fluctuate so much and after paying £1200 Oct 2020 (with paying £70 a month DD) SP are now saying in June 2021 Iowe £900 and w to antincreaase my DD £185 pm.  I have three separate meters plus a radio teleswitch.     I am on standard tariff (seemingly the only tarrif allowed with this meter set up )    It has a day rate. A night rate and a control rate for my very old storage heaters (this means sp controls through the radio teleswitch what times my heaters go on and off and this in my part of the country  is decided by the weather temperature at Edinburgh airport )

I have phoned SP on countless occasions I have been given conflicting advice.    I am unaware of what time the low rate and high rate starts on any of my meters.  Nobody at SP seems to know for sure or at what rate I am being charged for each meter and one was unaware what a radio teleswitch actually is !

I am in rented accommodation and my landlord is none the wiser although did get her electrician to come and look at the system and apparently he contacted SP to arrange for a SP engineer to come out to advice on changing to a single use sytem but no idea whats happening.    Her electrician told us to keep the Timed Switch set at 'ON' as thats what controls the whole system but I am no convinced.  We have turned all but 1 radiator off in the flat since March 2021 yet doesn't seem to make a difference to the bills or the heat generated in the flat!!.  We also don't get hot water all day if the shower is used 2 times a day.

Can anybody tell me who to go for advice concerning all this as SP do not seem to know how their own system works.  I've also found it impossible to change supplier as SP have the monoploly with this system.  I have recently filed a complaint with the Ombudsman who won't take it any further unless I can prove with hard copied that I have had issues with SP but all I have a lengthy phone calls that I never recorded.  

Thank you if you have read to the end of this I would be grateful for any advice as I am at a loss as to what or where to go next. and worried about the monthly cost involved.

posted by DavC1 | 2 weeks ago

@Michelle68   Sorry to hear all that and you have found the discussion on this forum about Comfort Plus which is unique to SP.   You can see the problems that other people have had.

SP will remove the Comfort Plus system and put in a standard Economy 7 system if you and the landlord insist that they do so.    Meanwhile disconnect all your storage heaters and use a simple electric fire or radiator in your living room.  The reason you use too much electricity is that the Comfort Plus system charges the storage heaters when they are not needed.    Once you are on a conventional Economy 7 system you will be free to change suppliers  to look for the cheapest energy deals on the market. Good Luck.

posted by Michelle68 | 2 weeks ago
Thanks so much for your helpful information. I will turn all the storage heaters off at the wall as at the moment the only one I have kept on is the living room but controls input and output are down to a minimum. Can I ask if the switch Box beside the water tank 'Water Heating Boost Control has a dial to boost heating which I have only ever used in an emergency but there is a switch that says 'OFF' or 'TIMED' and it is on the TIMED per my landlords electrician. Is this ok?

posted by DavC1 | 2 weeks ago

@Michelle68   I think the 'timed' setting is alright for your hot water.    When you have made the storage heater adjustments be sure to send in  meter readings in July  August and September so that SP can see that your usage has really reduced. It's always a good idea to send monthly meter readings provided you can easily get to your meters and read them.