Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by elainexbrOwn | A year ago
Re: Comfort Plus to Economy 7

Hi

I have the same problem as most of you's, I moved into a newish flat around 12years old with all electric heating, I was told when I bought the flat the property was economy 7 turns out it's a comfort plus meter. I have tried from August last year to change to economy 7 and I am getting nowhere. I phone SP and they book the appointment then I wait in and noone shows to phone them up and be told well you need to see if your heating is compatible. 

How do I find this out? Is it possible to change from a comfort plus meter to economy 7 in a all electric flat with storage heating as SP prices are through the roof and their customer service is appauling! 

Thanks 

posted by Davc | A year ago

@elainexbrOwn   It is possible to change but you may need an electrician to explain your wiring to you and make changes if necessary.  Read all the other discussions in this thread, they will tell you everything you need to know. Good luck. 

posted by hFR | A year ago

Because of the horrendous cost that comfort plus has gone up to ,I'm going to have gas installed 

do I get my own electrician to do the change of working or does S P do it 

posted by Davc | A year ago
Good choice gas will be much cheaper for you. You will need a single rate meter for lighting etc which SP can install. An electrician can disconnect your storage heaters and remove them for you. It will be a few hundred pounds to remove the electric heating and a couple of thousand to install gas and radiators. Well worth it in the long run.

posted by springjoy | A year ago

My Comfort Plus meter was replaced with an Economy 7 meter with my storage heater curcuits being switched by a Sangamo mechanical timeswitch.  Unfortunately, Actavo have caused a shambles with the installation off peak timings and have also transposed the opening readings (i.e. day and night readings are the wrong way round).  I have contacted the complaints handler dealing with my case several times, but nothing had been done almost 3 months on.  On the plus side my Dimplex Quantum storage heaters are operating brilliantly since getting rid of my Comfort Plus meter as the Weathercall function was was causing issues.  I have now received a bill which is totally incorrect, despite me requesting that my account be placed on hold as I am awaiting a visit from the a member of Scottish Power's Customer Lisison Team.  As soon as the issues are resolved I will be switching to another supplier as Scottish Power have been nothing but difficult with their uncaring cystomer service and staff who have no clue what they are doing.

posted by omendata | A year ago
@springjoy

Just switch to Bulb or the Co-op now that you have got rid of the Scottish Power comfortplus setup you should be good to switch!

posted by springjoy | A year ago

The National Database has yet to be updated and then I will be able to switch.  I was considering Bulb but now you have mentioned the Co-op I will look into that as well as another option.  Scottish Power has managed to make the meter changeover a very complicated and stressful process but if it all will be worthwhile in the end.  My sdvice to anyone looking to get a replacement meter is to persevere.  The installation did not take long, it has been the incompetence which followed that has been the issue.  Approach an Energy Advocate for support, as they seem to be able to get results.  In my case the Advocate was from the Wise Group on contract to my local authority.  I did not require an electrician to do any rewiring.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.  Scottish Power does not deserve the business from Comfort Plus customers who are forced to remain with them through no choice of their own.

posted by ruraldev | A year ago

In case anyone is interested, I changed my commercial electricity supplier to Octopus Energy which means I can access their API to see the half-hourly rates for their Agile tariff.

It always goes above 20p per unit between 4pm and 7pm but is below 10pm for all other hours with early morning hours (midnight to 7am) usually below 8p, the best half-hourly rates have been anywhere from -1p to 4p per unit (yes, that's correcy sometimes they pay you to use power) most days I can get 7 hours at less than 4p.

I have estimated that I could half my electricity costs by controlling times of use to match low cost periods.

posted by omendata | A year ago
Interestimg!

posted by DavidArmstrong | A year ago

Is it possible to switch suppliers now with a comfort plus white meter?