Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Comfort Plus to Economy 7
@davidsrmstrong. Bulb Ovo or Octopus might change your meters for you. Nobody will give you a three reading tariff without changing the meters. SP will change your meters to economy7 if you insist.

posted by omendata | A year ago

Got my economy 7 meter installed FREE and the comfortplus setup removed but they didnt install a timer for the storage heaters even after I told the girl on the phone what was required - the installers dont seem to have any idea how to remove and install comfortplus white meter to Economy 7 such is British Workmanship these days - just do 50% or the easiest way and who cares what the customer wants lol

Typical Scottish Power!

No matter as I never use em and when I do its only manually switched I am installing Sonoff switches for the water heater and possibly on the storage heaters - timer switches are so yesteryear anyway lol

Next step -> switch to Bulb or Co-Op after I get my first no doubt extortionate bill from SP!!!

posted by 69 | A year ago

Just an unsurprising horrifying update. Back in October meter changed free to Economy 7 when SP agreed to backdate my account to cheapest E7 tariff at changeover once MPANs sorted out. Final bill for old account over£350 in credit. Jan 2020 MPANs sorted and National Database updated to show I was on E7 i.e. progress! My DD payments continued Nov, Dec, Jan. They made a new DD for just another £1.37 but failed to use it this month, I assume in March it will work i.e. feasable glitch. Received a £30.00 (exactly?) refund today on old Comfort Plus account, where is the other £320? My new "live" account shows today £880 negative credit on estimated readings despite my recent online submissions. I still have access to my old "closed" account which shows me in £118 credit. It does get worse because the top of my new bill says my current tariff is the agreed "cheapest at the time" tariff but further down it in the tables I am being charged at Standard tariff. The saddest thing is that I saw on TV that SP are installing batteries and in the future they may give us batteries on our drive for the electric car. I shudder to think how Accounts will handle me exporting unused battery power to the grid to prop up the network.

posted by Davc | A year ago
@69. Usual SP efficiency, but the cheapest tariff may well be standard variable rate because of the government’s price cap. Of course when the cap expires the variable rate will revert to being the dearest.

posted by 69 | A year ago
My agreed tariff is well below Standard, obviously the tools in accounts don't work.

posted by springjoy | A year ago

My problems since the incorrect installation of my Economy 7 meter in October 2019 continue despite having had a visit from a community liaison officer over a month ago.  No one seems to care that my billing is also a complete shambles and theatening them with the ombudsman makes no difference.  Thankfully I do not have a durect debit set up of goodness know where I would be with it all.  The community liaison officer advised me that Actavo have installed an unsuitable meter which has its own incorrectly programmed buit in clock.  From what I gather the meter and storage heaters should both be switched at the same time by the mechanical timeswitch which was installed to ensure that the heaters are never charging at peak rate times.  I am stressed out at the thought of receiving a huge bill because no one at Scottish Power seems to give a **bleep** about getting their act together.

What meter model is it

The white meter heaters have to be installed in the sockets in the meter that are specifically for white meter on some and for others these sockets are activated by RATE 4 which is ony my new meter - no separate time clock seems to be needed its all in the one meter so SP got it right for me although it seems to only switch between 1am to 07:30am which is only 6 hours.

Have you checked your meter timings?

You should have two rates RATE 1 AND RATE 4.
If you want to check whether your heaters are on during the day switch everything off in the flat or pull your main breaker your white meter should go through a separate fusebox so if its pulling leccie you will know if its not then the leccie meter will read NO LOAD!

posted by springjoy | A year ago

Unfortunately, the meter timings and set up are definitely incorrect and this was further comfirned by the community liaison officer.  He said that I need a different model of meter and also adjustments to the mechanical timeswitch.  The timeswitch and my meter are not in sync and that is why my heaters are switching on and off at different times from the meter's off peak hours.  In the model of meter Actavo has installed Ratec1 is night and Rate 2 is day.  I take meter readings at least once a day so I do have a clear understanding as to where it is all going wrong.  It is becoming clear from forum members that no one who has had their Comfort Plus meter replaced with a 2 rate meter has the same set up.  The meter I have is Economy 7 hours and Scottish Power does not have an Economy 7 tariff for customers in Scotland, it is White Meter 1 tariff (8.5 hours off peak electricity).

Does not surprise me SP are quite the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with - in virtually every single occasion I have had a problem they have mismanaged and messed it up but then it doesn not surprise me as I used to work in the IT dept for them and during the Iberdrola migration and it was a disaster back then and the IT systems especially the website are still not working properly - Disgraceful company the government should intervene and do something about their dismal customer service and mis-managers!

Thats why i got the White meters removed and E7 put in so I can now do a changeover to Buld or Co-op.

Funny.....the Actavo engineer who came to install the E7 meter actually laughed and said "Are you getting this installed so you can ditch Scottish Power and move to a decent energy provider" and he laughed while i winced!!!

posted by Grimbo47 | A year ago

Hi.  I bought a property just under a year ago.  SP supplied the electricity but I wanted to switch immediately to Eon.  SP blocked the transfer, without explanation.  It seems that there had been a meter/address mismatch, I also apparently have three MPANs, although it appears one serves a neighbouring property.  I suffered the usual customer service issues (40 calls to SP, promises broken, fed misinformation etc) set out above and eventually complained to the ombudsman.  The matter is nearing completion (famous last words), part of which my bill is to be recalculated at Eon's best rates and a £125 credit for all the hassle (not remotely sufficient) and I can move to Eon without penalty.  However a major problem has surfaced.  It seems that I have a comfort plus meter (the ombudsman may not have appreciated this when it said that I should be able to switch - will I need to get SP to transfer me onto an Econ 7 meter before being able to switch?).  The previous owners only ever supplied one reading so I had been unaware of this until recently (I receive bills for four different account numbers and had been told to disregard them all by SP).  Based on recent meter readings, SP claim my consumption from 31 March to 11 February is day - 646 kwh @ 25/22pp unit; night 1062kwh  @13.3/11.4 pp unit; control 2412 kwh @ 12.3./14.3pp unit.  Add standing charge of 26.8 p per day and vat, my bill for 9 1/2 months comes to £718. But this is a second home and I only use it on average a couple of days a week! (ok there are times when I've spent a whole week there but also there are weeks that I haven't used the place.  I only use two (out of six) storage heaters, on a low "peep" to prevent freezing and that only during the winter.  I occasionally use an oil fired radiator during the day but have a log-burning stove for the evenings.  No one would describe the place as cosy.  I know many people complain that Comfort Plus is extortionate and it does seem more expensive than other suppliers, is that due to the unit rates or something to do with the Comfort Plus operational system - I've certainly never noticed the heating coming on during the day.  Can anyone throw any light on why my bill is so high?  Why should my nightly consumption be much higher than during the day (my hot water heating comes on a night but we're only talking of two hours two nights a week.  I don't have any power hungry appliances (the fridge freezer is on continuously but it's A+++).  The heaters themselves do look rather ancient and whilst I accept they may be inefficient, I don't think they could be that inefficient.

Help!!!

ps I spotted a post by Ernest 1934 who had been paying much lower rates for his Comfort Plus (day 16.2pp unit; night 8.7 ppu; control 7.95ppu) which on my alleged consumption would save me £200 pa but I can find it anymore.  Can some direct me to that. Thanks

Many thanks.