Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | 2 years ago
Re: Comfort Plus to Economy 7

Hi Glenboy. Economy 7 would be better for you but a meter change may be needed. Bulb seem to understand this situation, you could try talking to them. An electrician could tell you if you need any rewriting to the storage heaters. 

posted by MarkEd | A year ago

Has anyone got a solution to this yet? Any Scottish Power person able to advise? Whenever I phone I get people who don't seem to know how it works.

I'm trying to change my Comfort Plus meter to E7 but am being told that they only have one output. If so,how will the separate storage heater circuit turn on? Do I have to wire that circuit into the main circuit and put a timer on it? Surely other suppliers have E7 meters that activate the separate circuit?

There's no other SP hardware in the house apart from the meter so it's pretty clear.

Thanks

posted by MarkEd | A year ago

Would an E7 smart meter do the job?

posted by Davc | A year ago

@MarkEd    Yes, the main problem getting off comfort plus is to change the wiring of the storage heaters. If they are part of the rest of the house circuit an E7 supply will provide power at night, but the heaters will have to be on a timer system or they will run 24/7 and cost a lot of money. A home electrician could sort it for you and then you can ask to be put on E7 but you may get charged to change your meter. 

posted by 69 | A year ago
I had a Scottish Power Comfort Plus White Meter until this week mid Oct '19.
I requested an Economy 7 meter in June this year because of the latest June 2021 2yr tariff cost. The job was booked through a Liverpool area office, they cancelled once because of having no stock and said they would ring us but never did. We tried again with the Liverpool area office and were given another appointment which they kept. Their Contractor fitted free an extremely small 12x8cm Multi Rate Single Phase Watt Hour Meter (two rate digital) and a new very large 100 hour reserve Sangamo time switch. My immersion heater was always (still is) strangely on my ring mains/lighting distribution board and previously normally consumed on the night rate via my own timer.
Now my incoming supply feeds the meter, neutral only of ring main board and time switch motor. Out from the meter comes neutral only to storage heater board, live only to ring main board and live only supply in to time switch. Out from time switch comes live supply to storage heater board and control signal to meter (assumed to move meter from rate 1 onto rate 2). It's too early to say IF I am moved on to Economy 7 and offered a fixed tariff which means I can eventually move (if necessary) supplier when the MPan is allocated to my meter and can be seen by all the suppliers. Fingers crossed it is a success meaning that you don't apparently need a new digital Economy 7 meter to get an Economy 7 tariff. Note that I have no mobile signal so Smart Meter is not an option. Make sure your timer is set for the times and duration allocated to your Area as they vary. Only problem I seem to have is that my new timer duration is a half hour short for my Area and pocket!

@69    You are very knowledgable about your home electric supply and distribution.  Also you have shown that the Comfort Plus system can be removed by SP which will be good news for others with this system. Can you say how you managed to get SP to do this work because many other people have failed. You can now become our expert on Comfort Plus. If you don’t mind giving advice to others. 

posted by DeeBee | A year ago

Have same problem as others. Phoned today to get new tariff for Comfort Plus and  took call staff some time to even understand the type of meter i had. Once understood was only offered a rate which would mean a increase of nearly 50%. As SP has a monopoly of this type of meter,this seems an abuse of power.

Asked about changing meter. After some time, was told someone would phone me next week to discuss possibilities. Will let forum know outcome of this.

posted by 69 | A year ago
Hi DeeBee,
I believe you have a RIGHT to have a meter of your choice, I shall try and find where this is stated as they are not reliable in phoning you back.
Last week I noticed that my account changed from still having two accounts (mpans) live and being on Standard Tariff to now having one account closed and being back on my pre Economy 7 tariff of HBC Fixed Saver June 2021. I don't get a Bill Statement when I enter my readings so have no way of knowing my meter type status i.e. Economy 7. SP promised to put me on cheapest E7 tariff available at time meter was changed so the onus is on me next week to get this tariff as promised. Will follow up with progress, so far it"s slow but getting there.

posted by DeeBee | A year ago

As last responder suggested, SP did not keep to the appointment and failed to phone me this morning. Had to try phoning customer services again; after usual long wait got through to call centre staff and went through the whole rigmarole again -- offering same rate as before; going off several times to talk to "someone" but wouldn't allow me to speak directly. Only an apology that my appointment had not even been picked up by whoever should have dealt with it.

A couple of new bits of info. Apparently they can change the meter but won't in case my heating then doesn't work properly. They suggested I should get an electrician , to look at my system and say whether I could have a differnt meter --- they could not send one of their engineers.

Hope this helps you understand. Storage heaters are warmed up by the Comfort Plus system. If you remove that connection and connect them to the general house supply then they could get warmed up during the day using expensive power. What you need to have is a timer on the storage heater circuit so that they only warm up using cheap power at night. Economy 7 gives cheap power from midnight to 7am roughly.  So the installer was right you do need an electrician to move the storageheaters to a different circuit, but it is not a big job, the electrician can also install a timer to the circuit.  It is a pity the installer did not change your meter though because now you will have to call him balck again after you have had your circuit changed.