Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Comfort Plus to Economy 7

@Grimbo47    Storage heaters warm up at night and then release heat in the day by running fan blowers. Even if you do not turn on the fan in the day the heater will cool naturally and take in more heat the next night. So even if you do not turn the fans on in the day the heaters still take heat at night. The best way to cut costs if you do not want to heat a room is to disconnect the storage heater, usually they have an off switch to cut the power completely. 

Comfort Plus is unique to SP, they are obliged to replace it with economy7 if you request it. No other supplier will take you unless you have the conversion to E7 done first.   It seems CP has its own tariff costs and it is not possible to choose from the normal SP range of tariffs. 

The control rate is supposed to be triggered by cold weather and to boost the heat to storage heaters during the day so they do not run out of heat in the late afternoon.   There is a lot of discussion in this Community about the high cost of CP and the problem of getting rid of it. 

posted by doash | A year ago
What are the tariff rates with an Economy 7 meter? A simple question, invariably answered by: 'Day rates are charged from 8 a.m to 12 a.m and after that it is the night time rate'. Thank you, but HOW MUCH DOES IT COST???

@doash. A previous writer gave these costs

day @ 25/22pp unit; night 1062kwh @13.3/11.4 pp unit; control 2412 kwh @ 12.3./14.3pp unit. Add standing charge of 26.8 p per day

These will also be shown on your bill in the calculation section.

posted by omendata | A year ago

Well I am on the new E7 and pay cash quarterly so mine should be a bit higher than those on direct debit so those figures above are a bit high because you have given the Comfortplus rates - E7 does not have a control rate!

Here is my bill on E7 for March 2020 so you can see for real what it should be:-

Day : 21.57p

Night : 9.786p

Standing Charge : 26.8p

posted by Grimbo47 | A year ago

Further to Davec's response to my earlier post, how is it decided when SP's Comfort plus comes into operation?  Do you get  8 (or 10?) hours at the Comfort Plus rate irrespective of the time of day?  If  there's a very cold snap during the day, does the Comfort Plus rate kick in and if the 8/10 hours is used up during daytime, the night storage power is charged at the night rate?   

My main concern however is that I'm being charged a huge number of kWh.  As I said in my previous post, in 9.5 months to mid-Feb, my Comfort meter claims I used 646kWh during the day and 1062kWh at night.  But I only use the property a couple of days a week,  Also,I don't understand how the night consumption is so much higher than the day -the water heating comes on at night (2 days a week) but cooker, kettle, washing machine (once a month) etc are all on the day rate.  The storage heater consumption strikes me as astronomical (2412 kWh).  Whilst the heating is on 7 days a week over the winter, I use only two heaters and these are turned down to 4 (on a scale of 10).  That's not enough to heat the place, merely to prevent freezing in my absence.  The heaters are lukewarm to the touch rather than hot .Also, my heaters don't have fans (I said they were ancient).   Could my heaters be so inefficient that they are guzzling power without giving out much heat.  I suppose there could be a fault with the meter.  Does the fact that one of my three MPANs relates to a different property have any bearing?

On a less serious side, the ombudsman instructed SP to let me move unhindered to Eon (whose 2019//20 rates were significantly lower than SP's) but now that we're into 2020/21, I've checked comparison sites for Econ7 rates and you'll never guess who is cheapest - yup, SP!

@Grimbo47    Normally the day rate is for Lights, TV etc, and the Night rate heats the storage heaters, the Comfort Plus 'Control' may kick in during cold weather but it should be smaller than the night reading. That is my understanding but your property may be wired differently, maybe 'Control' is 100% of your storage heating.

Consumption at 646 + 1062 + 2412 for 9.5 months means 14.5kwh a day on average of which day rate uses 2.3 kwh a day and heating 12.2 kwh a day.  With two storage heaters that means 6 kwh a day each, which is actually quite realistic.

If it is only occasionally occupied I would disconnect all the storage heaters and have small fan heaters timed to come on for a few hours at night.  You can then turn them on for longer when you are in the property.

The mpan registered to a different address probably does not help at all and needs investigation.

You should also apply to SP to remove the Comfort Plus meters and install Economy 7 .

Good Luck

posted by omendata | A year ago

Is your meter a Hortsmann Series K Telemeter?

My white meter heaters were wired up for control rate only the night rate was wired up for everything else.
The white meter heaters should also be wired into a separate breaker box and dont go through the main fusebox!

The series k has two terminals specifically for white meter heating or control circuit as its called.
If your white meter heaters come on during the day they are wired into the night rate they should ideally not come on during the day that is what the boost button is for but then again my old heaters also had a boost dial but all it does is open the flap inside the heater fully open!

Depends how good your sparky was!

Hi Davc and omendata, thanks for taking the trouble to respond.  I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing.

I think the Comfort Plus is dedicated to the storage heaters, the night rate is for everything else that's on during the off-peak period.  I think the consumption is a wee bit more than 14.5kWh per day since I'm only there two days a week on average.  Day consumption for 9.5 months was 646kWh, equivalent to 816kWh for a full year; if that's for 2 days per week, 7 days per week would be about 2856 kWh, just short of 8kWh per day.  On the same basis night consumption was 1062kWh, annual equivalent was 1341kWh for 2 nights per week, 4695 kWh for 7 nights or 12.9kWh per night. (Which is why I'm puzzled to be using 60% more power at night).   It's more difficult to work out what the heating cost would be.  The consumption for 9.5 months was 2412kWh, but it's only on  over the winter.  If we assume that heating was on every night from 1 October until 11 February (which is the date the meter was read), that's 134 days or 18kWh per night.  That works out at 9kWh per heater per night - I don't know if that's good or bad.  I estimated the cost on the basis of 365 days per year for night and day consumption and 6 months' heating and it comes out at £1700pa, nearly twice what I pay for my Edinburgh home (albeit I have gas central heating which I recognise is cheaper).  As I said previously, the heating is sufficient only to prevent freezing and doesn't really make the place feel warm.

Maybe you can understand why I feel the consumption seems excessive.  I don't 

Hi my previous post got cut short for some reason.

it finished -

Maybe you can understand why I feel the consumption seems excessive.  I don't know whether there's a problem with the meter, or whether the "spare" MPAN is an issue or whether the heaters are so old they are hopelessly inefficient.  I'm planning to replace the meters with modern ones.  I'll get SP to replace the meter with an Econ 7 or Econ 10 (and make sure they're wired properly to get the benefit of off-peak rates).  Presumably the new heaters with have individual temperature and timing controls.

Thanks again to all who contributed. (ps to omendata, my earlier post mentioned that my meter was similar to yours - for some reason that disappeared from the draft that was posted).

@grimbo. I have gas heating so my electricity is for other general things. We have a medium sized house often full of grandchildren. We use about 6 kWh a day fairly constantly through the year. So your daily consumptions do look high.
If I were in your situation I would disconnect all the storage heaters and have fan heaters or small oil filled radiators on time switches so they can get the night rate to keep frost out.
Electric heating is always expensive unless you have modern efficient storage heaters on an economy7 tariff. Dimplex Quantum heaters are often said to be good.