Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Comfort plus white meter

posted by Ritchie | 11 months ago

I moved in to a property that has electric radiators (No gas supply). I believe it may have historically had storage heaters but they were removed long before I moved in. SP have told me via my monthly bill that I can be on a cheaper tariff, the call centre tell me that the tariff recommended to me can only be applied for via price comparison sites. I apply to switch to the SP tariff via the price comparison site but the switch is denied by SP because of the type of meter I have. My bill from SP tells me I have a comfort plus white meter but the price comparison sites tell me I have an economy 7 meter. When I give meter readings to SP every month, I read 2 meters. 1 meter gives the same reading every month, it does not move. The other digital meter gives 2 readings, 1 day and 1 night. My current tariff is online fixed saver June 2020 and I know I can be saving money on a cheaper SP tariff, they are telling me so on my bills!!! I have tried to switch supplier but I because I have 2 meters with 2 MPANS but the new supplier only asks for 1 MPAN  the switch is then denied too.

Any help/advise/information offered would be gratefully appreciated. I know I could be saving money on my electricity bills but don't really know where to begin.

4 comments
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 11 months ago
Re: Comfort plus white meter

@Ritchie   @69  Our contributor 69 has written about Comfort Plus, you could message him for advice.

Highlighted

posted by alexh | 11 months ago

I have a very similar if not the same issue.   Scottish Power did come and change the meter about a year ago but it only has got worse.  It's still white meter comfort plus.   When I get a bill in from Scottish power it does show annual consumption for all 3 readings for the year but one of the readings has never moved but unfortunately someone came and read meter and gave a wrong reading.  But none of the call centre staff are able to help. The bill states I could save £350 on a different tariff with Scottish power but when I call they quote me a much more expensive tariff.  Additionally I am on a single rate tariffs which means I am paying a fortune and getting no benefit from the overnight 'cheap' storage heaters.  I have called so many times and go through all the same questions and get no where.  I have opened a complaint and getting no where with that either.   The company is just a shambles

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 11 months ago
@alexh Read the correspondence here about Comfort Plus. You definitely need to get off the single rate tariff or your winter heating bills will be sky high. Even the Comfort Plus tariff will be better for you than a single rate. A tariff switch is easily done but getting rid of Comfort Plus needs a new Economy7 meter and possibly rewiring in the house.
Highlighted

posted by Em_Mounf | 4 months ago

Hi everyone!

I apologise if you see this message around a lot, but I just want to help and make anyone who's possibly affected aware. As many of you will have read on SP community, people are having serious problems when it comes to dealing with Scottish Power in relation to their Comfort Plus White Meters. One such person has created a Facebook page to consolidate information about complex meters and to help people better understand their meters. The page is called Complex Electricity Meters UK and the link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/1086059095122267. The page is very new, but the more people who share their knowledge, the more infortation we have. Also, if we have enough members, I hope to collect enough accounts of people's individual experiences with Scottish Power and try to do something about their despicable customer service.

Thanks,
Emily