Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ComfortPlus WhiteMeter and have a Horstmann Radio Telemeter Series and want to change meter!.

posted by omendata | A year ago

Currently I am on ComfortPlus WhiteMeter and have a Horstmann Radio Telemeter Series K. 

I have checked Scottish Power tariffs and white meter is no longer the cheapest but it means getting a new meter
Will Scottish Power do this for free if i want to change to one of their other tariffs and does anyone know what meter will need to be installed.

I have nothing but problems with the  Horstmann Radio Telemeter Series K. 
It failed recently after two years leaving me without leccie for over a week and the last time it failed it took Scottish Power 5 years to replace it then of course it failed again last month and Scottish Power said they have none in stock so had to put me on another setup with 3 meters but its still white meter - I wish at the time i had just asked them to install a normal two tariff meter?

The engineer at the time told me the meter i would need to ask for but i have forgotten - my bad!

Thanks in advance

10 comments
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: ComfortPlus WhiteMeter and have a Horstmann Radio Telemeter Series and want to change meter!.

@omendata   You can search the community for Comfort Plus, there is a lot of good advice. I understand SP will take it away and then you need an Economy 7 meter, they will probably give you a smart meter for E7. 

Highlighted

Re: ComfortPlus WhiteMeter and have a Horstmann Radio Telemeter Series and want to change meter!.

I would never have a smart meter they are a nightmare.

I work in IT and used to work for Scottish Power down in Cathcart they are a nightmare possibly the worst utility in the uk now since the Spanish took it over ie Iberdrola

I was part of the Novell Netware migration it was a fiasco and thing that were bust 10 years ago are still not working properly.

Its not an E7 meter from what i remember the engineer saying!

Highlighted

@omendata   Very impressed to have you as an insider from SP.  Their IT structure is obviously lacking, but I was surprised you do not trust smart meters. If they are installed correctly they should be welcomed, the problem is they are being rushed through by contractors who do not bother to commission them and do not tell customers how to use them.   SP really need to take a grip on web services and complaint support, if I was a manager there it would be a top priority. The app has gone disastrously wrong, the IHDs are turning off after firmware upgrades, and the website is a shambles. Oh Dear. 

Highlighted

That is the public perception that the suppliers are fobbing people off with.

They are an IT security risk
One smart meter might not work if you swap supplier
They are being installed badly and some have caused fires
They categorically wont save you money in fact they might even increase your bills
They wont be suitable if you have night storage meters

I  could list even more...
Smart meters are a solution looking for a problem.

Just a small example:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/six-reasons-say-no-smart-meter/

My motto is trust-no 1 it s agood motto to standby!
Be a wolf not a sheep!

Highlighted

Table 5: Overall (domestic and non-domestic) benefits of smart metering

Domestic (£m)

Non-domestic (£m)

Total (£m)

Consumer benefits (from energy saving and microgeneration)

Supplier benefits (including avoided site visits, reduced inquiries etc)

Network benefits (reduced losses, reduced outage notification calls, fault fixing, avoided investment from ToU (distribution/transmission) etc)

Generation benefits (avoided investment in generation from peak shifting through ToU)

UK-wide benefits (including CO2 reduction, air quality)

Source: DECC, https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/276656/smart_meter_roll_ou... (January 2014) (summarised),

From https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201617/cmselect/cmsctech/161/16107.htm#_idTextAnchor031

So the suppliers will save £4b more than the consumers (and £8.2b in total) which will mean big bonuses for the board and dividends.

Highlighted

I see that Npower has announced the company will raise standard tariff electricity prices by 15% from 16 March, and gas prices by 4.8%.

Stating that this was down to the cost of delivering government policies such as smart meters and renewables.

Highlighted

https://conversation.which.co.uk/home-energy/is-my-smart-meter-spying-on-me/

Highlighted

@omendata   Thanks for the replies. Smart meters are a government scheme to introduce variable time of day tariffs and control peak demand. Benefits to the consumer are very small.  The benefit comes from control of power uptake and use of green energy, so cheaper tariffs on windy days etc etc 

As for data snooping that does not worry me, we are all measured with our online time and already get targeted advertising, so what?   If we want to drop out of that then turn off your internet and banking cards and only use cash. But it does not worry me. 

Highlighted

It should worry you I was a hacker for a number of years and now work  as a Security pen tester - as soon as someone hacks in and they will and can switch your meter off or upload a bogus firmware update and cause your meter to fail and your leccie cut off.

If i can see that you havent been using leccie for a week or two i know you are on holiday so can break into your house.

The number of eastern european gangs now spending millions on hackers is astounding and you should be very very wary of anything involving the internet and computing in general - i cracked the oyster card within 5 days and had free acccess to the London transport system for a week its that easy and with hacking tools freely available on the darknet its up to you but i work in the industry and i trust no-1

Up to you but the x-files motto was right!

Anyway thanks for the chat hopefully someone will know which meter it is before i phone SP on Monday and have to spend hours on the phone trying to find a non indian helpdesk person who actually knows what they are talking about.
>;0)