Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely confused by 7 different similarly named fixed tariffs. All seem worse than Standard?!

posted by jonski | A year ago

Tarrif just ended: Help Beat Cancer Fixed Price Energy June 2018 Online

Until yesterday, I was paying

Off Peak rate 7.789p
Peak rate 17.717p 
Standing Charge 19.570p
Meter type: TwinHeat A
Meter number:
02 050 113
13 0001 XXXX 602

I am off the mains gas grid, and given the consumption pattern, I am an elecricity only house.
Air source heat pump for the winter heating (runs exclusively off-peak) supplemented by log burner), resistive heating (immersion heater) for water. Comes on for 30 minutes 3 times a week. Most showers happen at the gym, washing machine and dishwasher run off-peak.

For overall electricity usage, I am below average. At the end of this email, there are various images to illustrate the problem I am having trying to find a new tariff, which is mainly that the tariff comparison page always shows all tariffs and being 0p! (And it always has done). However, if I go to the postcode entry section, I get the following:

For the tariff I need in my area, I am offered multiple tariffs. And the thing is, however I compare it, it looks like the standard online tariff is the best one to be on?!? What am I missing? I'm asking here because, as you can imagine, phone support have absolutely no clue when it comes to anything more complicated than wanting a standard gas and electricity tariff...

Thanks!

• Saver Fixed July 2019 (Online)
  • Super Saver July 2019
  • Online Fixed Price Energy July 2019
  • Online Fixed Saver July 2019
  • Online Fix and Save July 2019
  • Help Beat Cancer Fixed Price Energy July 2020 (Online)
  • Help Beat Cancer Fix and Save July 2020 (Online)

STANDARD ONLINE electricity tariff
Standing Charge 27.39p per day
Unit rate 9.741p per kWh
Unit rate 22.245p per kWh

HELP BEAT CANCER FIX AND SAVE JULY 2020 ONLINE
Standing Charge 37.80p per day
Unit rate 11.003p per kWh
Unit rate 21.979p per kWh

HELP BEAT CANCER FIXED PRICE JULY 2020 ONLINE
Standing Charge 13.15p per day
Unit rate 13.604p per kWh
Unit rate 26.000p per kWh

The following tariffs all have identical day and night rates :

SUPER SAVER JULY 2019
Standing Charge 19.18p per day
Unit rate 15.255p per kWh

SAVER FIXED JULY 2019 ONLINE
Standing Charge 12.31p per day
Unit rate 16.223p per kWh

ONLINE FIXED PRICE ENERGY JULY 2019
Standing Charge 8.22p per day
Unit rate 19.699p per kWh

ONLINE FIX AND SAVE JULY 2019
Standing Charge 32.88p per day
Unit rate 16.652p per kWh

ONLINE FIXED SAVER JULY 2019
Standing Charge 19.18p per day
Unit rate 18.040p per kWh

Below are the average summer and winter usage patterns, and the page that always says the unit price is zero!

ScreenClip [201].pngScreenClip [200].pngScreenClip [199].png

2 comments

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Completely confused by 7 different similarly named fixed tariffs. All seem worse than Standard?
As you use offpeak power you need a tariff that offers a night rate. As you are a low user you could opt for one with a lower daily charge and a higher unit rate. So the Fix and Save option looks good. But you should call SP and discuss with them your best option they are usually helpful.
Highlighted

posted by jonski | A year ago
Re: Completely confused by 7 different similarly named fixed tariffs. All seem worse than Standard?

Hi - thanks. Yes, all the tariffs which came up in the search result for my meter type did offer two rates, it's just that for most of them, the day and night rate were identical.

I'll try phoning again today and see if I get someone different, but last time I called, I got no sense at all, which is why I posted.