Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could i complain again?

posted by Glitterpop88 | 3 months ago
Hi first time posting so bear with me if it's long I apologise!
Bit of background first moved into property 2011 had economy 7 storage heaters changed to combi boiler 2015 called to change meter. Got confused with different suggestions so stayed with the same e7 meters. Ended up going to complaints as I had a massive bill due from trying to get it all sorted. Finally got smart meters installed this year 2019 and still not completely sorted.
I originally called to set up payment plan and new direct debit. The lady I spoke to gave me a good will gesture and set everything up or so I thought.
Nothing had been recorded down when I next called up and I then find out that only the gas was going thru the meters and because we are now into the middle of the year they have had to go right back and someone has had to input and sort adding the electric which has had me waiting upto 7 weeks. In that time I had arranged another amount to leave my new bank and it hasn't gone out. I have now got a letter to say I'm on quarterly cash payments as the direct debit has been cancelled which they were fully aware of as I wanted it set up to a different account. I now have another massive bill to contend with. Not happy at all what would you advise?
6 comments

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago
Re: Could i complain again?

@Glitterpop88 How long was it between when the first direct debit that should have been paid wasn't and when they notified you that it hadn't been? Scottish Power like to send messages to your online account concerning things like this, but as messages there don't trigger your main e-mail there's no way you'll know you've got a message unless you sign on to your account and go look yorself. So they might have advised you the direct debit hadn't been paid long, long before you received a message in your main e-mail. Even so, did you not see on your bank account statement it hadn't been paid out?

If a missed message is the case, they'll want to know why you didn't check yourself and make arrangements to pay monthly. They'll also want to know why it took you until the middle of the year to tell them you weren't being billed for any electric usage. Unless you've got good answers to those questions it would probably be best to try to resolve the problem with Scottish Power than take it to an outside resolution centre, who'll probably not be sympathetic with you. Open a new complaint, as it's a new issue, but be ready for those difficult questions.

@Jonnel
It was due out this month and I recieved a email to check my online account today.
When I had the meter installed the guy never said to keep an eye on the meter or that it may glitch from time to time. Had I of been made aware I would of been checking it alot more often.
It was only by chance me checking online that I noticed only one thing was showing?
Highlighted

@Glitterpop88 Bit confused now. How can someone at SP have had to "go right back" and keep you waiting "7 weeks" if the first direct debit was only due out this month? I would have thought the size of the direct debit taken would have told you if there was only one or both energy supplies taken.

Neither would the fitter tell you you need to check your bank account to make sure a direct debit setup had been accepted and actioned by your bank or the payee - outside of his remit.

Because I was only being charged for one energy source since my meters were put in this year in january. They had to work back from then to now to give me an idea of what iv used and how much I owe.
We settled on an amount going forward but that amount never left my bank.
But I shall call them thanks for your reply.

@Glitterpop88 That's what I thought. That's why I suggested you check back in your online messages to see if and how long ago they advised you they hadn't been able to take the direct debit. SP have limited access to your bank account arrangements so the onus will always be on you to check the new DD you'd set up was taken. (DDs are 'taken' by a payee, as opposed to standing orders, which are 'sent' as it were.) So there is an out for you, if you can show the new DD was set up, but SP just didn't 'take' it, or that you weren't advised they were chasing the wrong one.

There's a notice period of 10 days payees have to give before changing any DD they're due to take (date or amount), I believe there's also a grace period for payers to change details of a new DD setup. Putting you straight on to quarterly cash the very same month a DD fails to pay is unwarranted - especially so if they hadn't advised you or advised you late that it hadn't gone through. That might be your best angle for your complaint.

Ok thanks
Iv looked through all the messages and there is nothing about direct debits only this latest letter. I remember when I set up the payment I asked to change the details and gave the new details there and then and I'm sure she said they would email me the DD guarantee that you get which I never recieved...
Anyway I shall know for future to double check any future payments get properly set up too! Thanks