Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit plummeting after meter readings.

posted by Deeman79 | 3 months ago
I received an email to submit a meter reading. Before doing this I checked my balance which was around £130 in credit. Now bearing in mind I live in a studio flat not much bigger than a match box, electricity only (apoarently on the cheapest tariff). I turn on my water heater for 30 mins max every day, apart from that it is off. Storage heating is off as its summer. I then submit my meter reading and its now £30 odd in credit, so my credit has went down by £100??? Am I paying for someone else's electricity??? Or am I being conned? If this keeps going on I will be looking elsewhere as I feel I'm not being treated as a valued customer.
12 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 3 months ago
Re: Credit plummeting after meter readings.

Hi, you have used £100 since the last meter bill. Maybe the last reading was estimated? and maybe a few months ago? So your new reading brings you up to date, it is quite possible to use £100 electricity over several months. 

posted by Deeman79 | 3 months ago
Thanks Davc.

posted by lexyboy | 3 months ago

Do you know whyweb chat always unavailable to discuss my best long term tarriff. This has been for around 6 weeks now and there is no other way to contact anyone about this. 

posted by chris999 | 3 months ago
Just had a similar experience. My credit, to my surprise, was over £400. I asked if I could have it refunded to my account and was asked to supply current meter readings (remember, we have just had a heatwave) My credit plummeted to £99!

posted by faywayfay | 2 months ago

i was 340 pounds in credit then i got the shock after i gave meter readings, i am now 274 pounds in debit ?????? why dont my meter get read by scottish power, i have a meter on the outside of my house for this very purpose.    i do direct debit for convenience and so i dont get behind on my  payments .   this is a cruel joke!!!

posted by faywayfay | 2 months ago

@Deeman79 wrote:
I received an email to submit a meter reading. Before doing this I checked my balance which was around £130 in credit. Now bearing in mind I live in a studio flat not much bigger than a match box, electricity only (apoarently on the cheapest tariff). I turn on my water heater for 30 mins max every day, apart from that it is off. Storage heating is off as its summer. I then submit my meter reading and its now £30 odd in credit, so my credit has went down by £100??? Am I paying for someone else's electricity??? Or am I being conned? If this keeps going on I will be looking elsewhere as I feel I'm not being treated as a valued customer.

@Deeman79 wrote:

i was 340 pounds in credit then i got the shock after i gave meter readings, i am now 274 pounds in debit ?????? why dont my meter get read by scottish power, i have a meter on the outside of my house for this very purpose.    i do direct debit for convenience and so i dont get behind on my  payments .   this is a cruel joke!!!

posted by Davc | 2 months ago
This has been the subject of similar posts. Meter readers do not call these days so most accounts have been estimated the last six months. When you put in an actual reading there is a big correction made. It’s not that you have suddenly used a lot but you have been updated to the true situation after estimates that were too low. Always put in your own readings to get accurate bills.

posted by Damocleas | 2 months ago

Mines not a credit meter but an account meter, Had it 12 years and used 905 units.  I work away from home a lot and i'm single.  August meter reader read the meter,  5 days later the gas dug up the street to replace gas pipes and disconnected house, I get reconnected tomorrow.     I've recieved a bill this week for over £6000 with a (actual ) reading of several thousand units, with a breakdown of 10000 units used per day on a domestic premises in summer.  Fed up phoning, Photoing meter and emialing it and still it goes on.     Do they vet the meter readers, has he just **bleep**ed up or made some numbers up. ( or maybe he should go to spec savers )  But how is it than when i speak to staff they call up the account and dont believe me, Come how much flow will pass through a standard Gu10 meter in a day is it even possible to used that much gas in a non comercial property,    I'm changing tarriff yet theres a £300+ cancellation fee on the other tarrif  so i'm seriously thinking this will be the end of me using scots power. 

posted by Davc | 2 months ago

Hi Damoclease, that is a worrying story.  It is obviously a mistake and SP should own up after seeing the photo of your meter, did you put in the correct reading yet? You should  do that to confirm the situation.