Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Daily meter reading inaccurate

posted by NicNoc13 | 2 weeks ago
I have a smart meter and I check the usage regularly. I’m staggered to see a huge spike from £0.30 usage one day with a huge amount of activity, to £26 the next day with very little activity. In fact, we were out of the house most of the day. How can a house generate over £26 worth of energy in one day with only 2 people in the house? Can the meter readings be wrong?
6 comments
Highlighted

posted by EmKell | A week ago
Re: Daily meter reading inaccurate

I have the same issue. I received a huge bill in June after tracking my smart meter readings, I was so shocked by the amount as I had been so careful. I do not understand why the smart meter is not sending regular accurate readings and then giving large spikes of reads on odd days.
I want to be able to follow my fuel consumption so I can manage my bills more effectively, I have had no answer to my previous enquiries about this,

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A week ago

@EmKell   Hi, I think you are looking at the 'helpful' account information on the SP app, this is not your bill, the app has gone wrong and is showing crazy figures. Your real bills are in your internet account and they will be completely normal.

Highlighted

Thank you, but I am looking in the correct place. I am looking at the energy usage on both in the app and on my internet account.

There is a breakdown of meter reads for everyday., however the readings are erratic , even though a read is meant to be taken every half an hour! I cannot follow my daily fuel usage, unless I physically take a read each day myself, which defeats the object of having a smart meter!

Highlighted

@EmKell    The only true bill is your full 5 page invoice as shown as a pdf file in your account. Any sort of day by day information by app or ihd has become corrupted.   So yes you are right, it is impossibl;e to follow consumption in real time. They say it has all been caused by firmware upgrades and should settle down eventually.

Highlighted

Thanks. That's crazy, I mean  why bother  supplying information, in my app and online account on usage if that information is corrupted!
 I'm still not happy with the idea of an accurate bill after three months of corrupted information on fuel consumption. How would I ever know if i was being charged the right amount unless I started taking physical readings again. So the smart meter isn't that smart.

Also this should be out in the public domain to avoid unnecessary  confusion and alarm over fuel consumption and bill amounts. Trying times at the moment made even more trying by inaccurate daily meter readings, leading to misinformation on what the consumer actually owes engery wise. I like to budget but this is making it impossible !

Highlighted

@EmKell   Sorry to say that is true, I keep monthly meter readings on a spreadsheet, have done for years.