Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Direct debit failure and sheer incompetence or consideration for their customer.

posted by Starrypotter | 3 years ago

Well, feel i have to post somewhere where hopefully someone will listen. I have a complaint with SP where i have argued that my meter was faulty. After dramtically increasing my monthly bills from £204 (already too high for a small 3 bed semi) i began to take more of an interest in my meter. Called SP who capped my payments at £204 until the situation was reviewed.  After a couple fo calls it appeard that not only were my payments going up but my outstanding balance was £2000 of debt. I could not believe it. SP tell me i used the gas so i must pay.

Armed with my meter readings and my camera phone i began to investigate. Cumulitive average from 2010 to 2016 4.44m3 of gas a day. Cumulative data  from June 2016 to present 15m3, Cumulative data from April 2017 to present day 23m3. Cumulative data from Nove 2017 to 02-02-18 43m3 a day. Nothing has changed in my house and meter goes up even when no gas or appliance is switch on.

The complaint begins........

Nov 22nd 2017 Phone call after phone call asking for a new meter. Hours of time wasted talking to numerous people, being told the numbers on the meter have jumped, told I do not know what i am doing and i am reading the meter incorrectly.( I am a senior construction manager) Told im getting a test meter, a meter exchange, a test  meter a meter exchange a test meter and finally a meter exchange. ^ different plans of attack all implemented by different people.  SP failed to show up on one occasion where i took the day off my work and then told me that i never had an appointment even though i had an email with the appointment that i sent them a copy of. I cant take any more so i contact the energy ombudsman. I await my investigator being appointed.

Finally last Friday i get a new meter, From a lovely man who came to my door asking "what am i here for" only to be told "replace the meter". He did not even know why he was at our house.So,  Lo and behold my daily cumulative avergae goes to 6.3m3. From 43m3... Its not rocket science. The meter was faulty.

So in the meantime January's payment comes out £417... Im furious, complain to my complaint handler who tells me to recover it back from my bank through an indemnity claim. I ask them why it was not capped as promised. This is before the new meter. Just after Christmas and an extra  £200 that i have to account for. I email and call again demanding that the payments are capped until the situation is resolved. I am told this would happen by my complaint handler

So new meter is in on the 2nd of Feb. I wait a few days to review the usage and after 4 send the data to SP. Telling them that i will wait another week so that we have a more consistant picture. I am so happy that finally my point is proved and hopefully the situation can be resolved. I have clearly been overcharged and it would just become a mathematical exercise  to  resolve my spend. I check my SP account and it says my next payment is to be £655, this cannot be correct so i need to call them, then i look at my balance, its almost at 0, Im confused so i check my bank. Yes you guessed it, SP have taken £655 out of my account in February. Im appalled, im over drawn, i have no spare money til the end of the month and it would appear that there is nothing they can do. I contact the bank, who tell me i cannot claim it back because i am in dispute with Scottush Power. I call the ombudsman, who cannot help me because i do not have a case investigator assigned yet, i call citizens advice who tell me they cannot help me because i have a case with the ombudsman and i call Scottish Power, twice to be told firstly that someone from their Ombudsman team will call me back, No idea when, or if they even will. Then secondly that my complaint has been closed and that it will have to be reopened. I am flabbergasted, ask why it is closed, Demand to know in fact and they cannot tell me. I am told that it will be 5 days before anyone can call me back. In the meantime what do i do.

Cancel my direct debit? Go and see a lawyer? who knows but one thing is for sure they do not care about you or I, They are set up like an impermiable barrier to rebuff the ordinary man. Hours of fighting my case, hours of banging my head against a brick wall , then finally my point is proved. Only to find out that i am over a £1000 out of pocket paying for gas that i have not used. This is tantamount to fraud. Taking my money, against an agreement that was made, then refusing to even discuss or acknowledge that this is happening. Absolutely disgusting by the supposed industry leader.

From a very furious and disgruntled, soon to not be customer...........

66 comments
Highlighted

posted by luby | 2 years ago
Re: Direct debit failure and sheer incompetence or consideration for their customer.

I feel your pain,i really regret changing over to scottish power.Instead of saving me money it has cost me money.My bill has more than trippled and i rang demanding to know why,only to be told i would have to write down daily meter readings for 7/10 days..I have just involved the ombudsman and im waiting on a reply.I know 100% that i have not used anywhere near that amount of fuel.As soon as i can i wll be going back to e on.Scotish power have also done the same thing to a lady across the road from me and it is making her ill,so i tell my family and freinds who were thinking of changing to scotish power not to!!

Highlighted

posted by Lloyd | 2 years ago
Re: Direct debit failure and sheer incompetence or consideration for their customer.
I've only been with Scottish power since 27th Feb 2018.was told our monthly dd would be £54.?? Today when we went to the bank theyve taken £86.?? Really not HAPPY
Highlighted

posted by Starrypotter | 2 years ago
Well as an update, the ombudsman ruled in my favour at the start of the month. My account has to be rebilled from June 2016 at the cheapest rate and to my previous cumulative average from 2010 to that date. They also have to pay me over 200 in compensation. This is a result if it happens. i personally believe that they owe me nearer £2000 but am unable to work it out due to their failure to provide me with a copy of my bills that i have formally requested twice now. As yet i remain non plus, the way this has gone leaves me with little faith in the system. SP continue not to know their a*** from their elbow. Half the problem is automation in my opinion. That and the sheer size of the company leaves zero connection between the provider and customer. An example of this is that i am currently on their cheapest rate until this is resolved but i have had a letter to tell me that they are changing my account to standard online which is more expensive. It really is hopeless account management.. I have lost the will to fight now so will just see what happens re the ombudsmans decisions. They have 28 days to rectify and carry out their instructions so i suppose April 1st is D day.

With regard your situation Lloyd perhaps it is just because it is winter. you will obviously be using more units and wont really see the cost they purported until it is averaged over the year. Now being an expert in average household costs £84 seems very reasonable lol. I'm currently still paying 200 until this is closed out although granted they did not take anything from me last month. One thing i would say is that should anything end up in dispute then keep very detailed records of all calls , emails etc. I actually recorded all my calls with SP as it was clear to me that not all items that were being discussed during the phone calls were actually being put on their notes. This has proved invaluable when dealing with the Ombudsman. I suppose time will tell. Until the money is in the bank i remain unconvinced.......
Highlighted

posted by luby | 2 years ago
If you don't mind, could you let me know how it all went for you with sp in the end. Did they carry out the ombudsman's instructions? I hope it has gone well for you and they have because its a lot of money, worry and stress. I stand by what I said before and that is my biggest regret is choosing to go with Scottish power and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
Highlighted

posted by bill | 2 years ago

same here for some reason my direct debit is to go from 60 to95 if i renew. going with coop see if they can work out my bills better 

Highlighted

posted by Starrypotter | 2 years ago

Hey Lubi,

so I received an email from SP saying that all conditions imposed by the OBM have been carried out. This included, but was not limited to, repaying my money, paying me compensation, showing me clear and concise breakdown of how they came to their figure and showing me how to get copies of my bills. My account last month was showing £60 in debit, at the end of the month it was 500 in arrears. On the last day (day 28) of the ombudsmans sanctioned period it was £1200 in credit, then yesterday it was £1400 odds in credit.

I have received no explanation as to how they reached the figure. I have had no copies of my bills even though i have requested them twice and have not had it explained to me how to get them, even though i know how and have applied appropriately. I have had no proof that the compensation has been applied. Granted, all this info could be in the post so only time will tell. I called them yesterday to remove the money from my account which is now arranged although they told me it will take up to two weeks for it to come through which i find ironic as they can take money from your account at the flick of a switch. It truly is laughable. I know i am due more, I am positive i am, but a week on Monday i fly abroad to start a new project and think i will just cut my losses and run. It has taken six months to get to this point and i gennuinely do not trust them as a company. At the start of last month I was £60 in arrears, at the end i was £500, nothing makes sense. I cannot view any bills. They did suspend my last two payment so i have not paid anything for two months so in essence it would appear they ahve paid me back between £1400 to £1600. When you considet that they took £1000 off me in 31 days at the turn of the year then it just does not compute. My current usage is less than £50 a month now.. 

Unfortunately my opinion is now tainted, there is no going back with regard how i perceive this company and how I believe they operate. The reality is perhaps I am just so frustrated that i cannot see any positive in the service i have had, that I am incapable of seeing anything other than total customer failure. The simple truth is this. My meter went haywire. They had all the info in front of them and they did everything they could to fob me off. Even when i supplied them with clear and concise data and evidence they showed no impetus to help resolve my situation. I pushed every avenue and more to get recourse. I am afraid that there must be many many people getting outdone by incorrect metering and  teflon coated customer service. I would say that it is about time that someone did something about it but in reality the beast is just soo big it is unmanageable, like the NHS IMO. Just to big to get to grips with..........A sorry state of affairs.......

Highlighted

posted by nickiew | 2 years ago

Hi, You think you’ve got it bad. I have been working abroad and on my online banking noticed that SP were taking £1275.00 a month from my account,  when I was back in the Uk in January I immediately stopped the direct debits and called to to give my meter reading. The next month was a complete waste of my life. They have  nearly £11,000 of my money( backed up by bank records) and within a day of me pointing this out my account was over £1250.00 in debit.!!!!!! It is fraud.

Highlighted

posted by kath | 2 years ago

I am having problems that I chose to change supplier . I wasn't tied to any contract as it has not long ended. A few  days after Scottish Power started a new contract for me that ends on June  2019 that has an exit fee  !! How can they start a contract for me that I have not agreed with? 

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 years ago
They have helpfully put you on the cheapest tariff, if you don't want it you can cancel and go on the more expensive standard variable rate.