Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Disparity in meter reading and bill

posted by Doodie | 3 months ago

I have tried to enter gas meter readings from my  elderly mother's smart meter ( though I am not sure why these have been requested)

The last bill was 00723 but the meter is now reading 014317.It can't have increased 20 x ?

Last time I tried to query why I needed to enter any readings when a smart meter is installed I got nowhere as they wouldn't deal with me as I am not the account holder ,but my elderly mother is unable to do this herself.

Not sure what to do about this.

7 comments

Top answer

posted by Davc | 3 months ago
Re: Disparity in meter reading and bill

@Doodie   Smart gas meters can cause problems when being read.  The correct units are cubic metres, which can be displayed as m3 or cu m.  Some Displays offer kWh but that would be too high by 11.5 times.   Sometimes it is hard to see a decimal point, any number after the decimal point should be ignored.   
I know of one case where the hand held display shows kWh which cannot be adjusted to show m3.

if you are reading the actual meter and not a display unit, the meters can offer a lot of different outputs, if there is a number pad press 9 once to see the correct reading.

It is ironic that smart meters are much harder to read than conventional ones, but lack of transmission for a variety of reasons often means that manual reading is necessary.    

Highlighted

posted by Doodie | 2 months ago
Thanks. I have been told a manual reading is needed. What is the point of smart meters if they don’t work?
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 months ago

@Doodie   That is true but there is a difference between not working, and under maintenance, all technical gadgets go wrong sometimes.   Anyway it is good to find out how to read your meters and to get used to the process, we are not out of the woods yet with smart meters.

Highlighted

posted by rayh | A month ago
Highlighted

posted by rayh | A month ago

I have had two payments taken by direct debit in May. One on the 20th and the other one on 26th May.  Why is this please

Highlighted

posted by ecwtsui | A month ago

I take the smart meter reading on Saturday (4th of July) and the outcome is nearly two time of my normal usage including electricity and gas. Is the reading correct? Is there any way to check the reading apart from the smart meter?

Highlighted

posted by ecwtsui | A month ago
How to read the normal meter?