Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i need to send meter readings if i have a smart meter? if not why are they asking me for it....

posted by SueGarrett | 4 months ago

Do i need to send meter readings if i have a smart meter? if not why are they asking me for it..

7 comments

posted by peteralexander | 4 months ago
Re: Do i need to send meter readings if i have a smart meter? if not why are they asking me for it..

Just had a smart electric and gas meters fitted one week ago and would like to know how we are doing. How do I find out from my account?

Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
Re: Do i need to send meter readings if i have a smart meter? if not why are they asking me for it..

All the information you need shown on your In Home Display (IHD). This is up to date and gives a history of consumption with costs, and the latest meter readings. Your SP account is only as up to date as the most recent Bill.

Sometimes they  ask for manual readings to be sent in, but it is not unusual and can be for a number of reasons, so just go ahead and do it. After a while the smart meter should settle-in and not need any manual readings.

posted by burnley5 | 4 months ago

I would do: had dual smart meters for a year, assumed all ok. Checked out my account and the gas bill was massive! Checking the meters, I had used 900 units of gas, but SP had 'estimated' my gas readings to 9900! 10x the amount! The gas smart meter has never transmitted data... if you have a smart meter dont assume itll be perfect

posted by fin | 3 months ago
What is the point of a smart meter?

posted by Bohumil | 3 months ago
Re: Do i need to send meter readings if i have a smart meter? if not why are my bills estimated?

Hello.

I have smart meter for electricity and gas from 19/02/2018. Electricity readings are actual, but gas readings are estimated.

I would liket to have actual bills. I have entered readings online for electricity and gas, but it did not help. I have been speaking with customer service by phone and they told me I have to wait. There is nothing they can do right now.

Any idea? How long time it will take to get actual bill? How can I get actuall bill?  

Thanks

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

You have done the right thing by sending in a gas reading. If they are telling you to wait  then leave it until your next bill, if it is still estimated send a new reading and explain to customer services what is happening.  This is happening a lot in new gas smart meter installations.

posted by grandmafox | A month ago

Wish I had never had the smart reader fitted. Can't understand the display and can't see readings on the meter either. Totally confusing