Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading my commercial supply (urgent help required)

posted by hollywood78 | 3 weeks ago

Hi,

I believe that I have exhausted my options to the point where due to the P272 legislation my request is at Ofgem's discretion. I understand the DNO SP Energy Networks have no jurisdiction with these matters now. I have tried calling Ofgem for over a week and the calls just get filtered through to Advice Direct Scotland who are a charity and nothing to do with Ofgem. I have also emailed their consumers affairs email address but received no reply other than getting a reference number. My situation is urgent, I am being charged £70 per week before I even flick on a switch.

To cut a long story short I have recently moved into an industrial unit and take over a 5 year lease.  My landlord initiated the change of notification of tenancy to the existing supplier (Opus Energy) late and after 2 and a half months. Meanwhile Unbeknown to me I had been placed on a deemed (out of contract) tariff of a £10 a day daily standing charge and 93 per Kwh - now reduced to 53p. My usage has been minimal and comparable to a small domestic house. Approx 800 Kwh in 90 days. Meanwhile I am sat with a bill over over £2100 through no fault of my own with no ability to do anything about it until now. The current suppier will only back date the account 30days and considers it a third party dispute even though they have written proof the change of tenancy notication was sent late, when it should have been the day I got the keys.

Surprisingly there are only 3 energy companies in the UK who can supply my unit despite it's Ayrshire location. Opus Energy (currently supplier whom I certainly won't be staying with) as they want a 24 month contract offering £5.20 daily standing charge and 37p per Kwh, British Gas who want a £900 deposit as my business is less than two years old - £4.93 daily standing charge and 34p per Kwh and finally Drax who I've never heard of who want £7.28 daily standing charge and 39p per Kwh. 

The problem I have is that my unit is 3 phase power and has a half hourly meter, which I understand the regulators are trying to move everyone over to. My usage does not require anywhere near this level of supply capacity now or in the future. I am new to all this but learning fast, however I don't know if any request to downgrade would even be considered let alone approved?

Absolutely scunnered. I'm trying to launch and grow a new business and employ people and these are the obstacles you are left to face alone. Meanwhile you cannot get through to the organisation who are meant to help consumers deal with problems. I know the energy prices are ridiculous just now but if I were to be able to downgrade my supply to 1 phase then unlike domestic customers at present I would be able to significantly recuce my bills despite the current prices as opposed to what I will be paying by having this 3 phase half hourly meter.

4 comments

posted by DavC1 | 3 weeks ago
Re: Downgrading my commercial supply (urgent help required)

@hollywood78    Yours is outside our normal scope.  I would suggest you try Octopus energy who might take you on. If they cannot help then ask for your account to be closed and ask SP energy networks to change you to a conventional supply rather than 3 phase.  You can then search a number of suppliers to take your account as a conventional account. 

Thanks for your reply but as I say, there are only 3 energy suppliers who can supply my address. Therefore Octopus isn't an option. 

Can you elaborate on your suggestion about closing the account and then Scottish Power's invovlement from there? I certainly couldn't go without any power, even if just for a matter of hours. I have spoken to the Scottish Power team a few times and it is categoric that not only can they not supply my address even though bizarrely they are the DNO, they cannot intervene in downgrading the supply as that is Ofgem's call due to this new legislation.

Can only go by what i'm being told but none of it makes sense and I'm geting nowhere fast, meanwhile the bill rises every day.

posted by DavC1 | 3 weeks ago

@hollywood78   The only thing I know is SP Energy Networks supply the wiring to the property and they are a completely separate company to the SP retail supplier.  So if you have for example British Gas as your supplier, SP Energy Networks still look after the wiring to your property.   So therefore I think you can ask SP Energy Network to give you a standard 2 phase supply.  I could be wrong.  Sorry I can't help more. 

Thanks anyway.