Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dumb Meter

posted by Thickmeter | A year ago

I'm leaving Scottish Power because I'm coming out of a 2 year deal and they want to hike my enegy price by around £250 for the year. Not paying it. 

In the switch process they're asking me to submit a meter reading despite the fact that I have a smart meter. Granted it's useless and seems to randomly create bills but surely they can get an accurate reading?

26 comments
Highlighted

posted by AndySwain | A year ago
Re: Dumb Meter

I was told by someone at the SP Call Centre that they only see the readings that are passed to them when it's time for the regular bill, rather than the regular readings directly from the (now dumb) meter (or the intermediate data centre). This comment may not be totally accurate as I've been told all sorts of stories by SP, whilst trying to get my (allegedly smart) meter actually functional.

Highlighted

posted by lesley1962 | A year ago
I had a dumb gas meter put in that I didn't know I had as they told me I would be getting a smart meter only for my electricity....I am ALWAYS 200 odd quid every year for my gas and about the same ammount for my electric,so I ask for this every year to get with my xmas presents,had issues with sp as they charged me £400 odd quid for my gas which I knew was wrong...now they say I owe £14.65 even that is wrong...they replaced my meter with a regular gas one...been on the phone to them for 3 weeks as they are refusing to give me my credited electric money back (£215.38)keep telling me its getting processed then saying it is because i owe them gas money..one of the customer advisors was quite cheeky to me as well..I am not working anymore as I have health reasons and will have to go to citizens advice about this now as my anxiety levels are through the roof...What I don't understand is why can't they give me money back it is not there's it's mine!Oh and I am still waiting on a full gas bill for the charges all summer as I turn my gas off at the boiler and heating so so from end of april to october I only pay the daily standard charge...but keep paying £10 a week into my account so I know I m in credit with them on the gas as well...they are stealing from me.
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi Lesley. Your setup sounds very strange, I don't know what you mean by having a dumb gas meter which you did not know you had and which was changed for a regular gas one. Good luck with citizen's advice, try to be more clear what your problem is.  Why are you paying £40/month for gas when you are not using any?  look at your bills and see if you have a big debt on them, maybe that is why they will not refund your electric account. I don't think they are robbing you, maybe you have not understood your bills and account statements?

Highlighted

I had a guy come to my house to install an electric smart meter....nothing was mentioned about the gas meter that is on the outside of my house....My previous gas meter was a regular one but unknown to me it was replaced by a new meter and there was nothing on it no digits or anything....I phoned sp and told them about this as I noticed for I was being charged well over £400 (its not pre payment meter I pay 10 on an agreement on a weekly card scheme....I was to pay £5 as I am a low user but always put £10 sometimes£12 in it as come the end of the year I get a rebate on both and use the money for xmas been doing this for a few years)Anyway guy comes out says its a dumb meter replaced it for a regular meter do not ask me why they took out the old one in the first place.....so I have been charged all this money on an estimated bill when I know I havent used anywhere near what they say I have....I know exactly how much I use...In April to October I switch the gas off including the boiler as I am in a 1 bed bungalow...so should only be paying the standard charges..only have a shower and that is run on electric...washing dishes I boil a kettle.....Winter only use 1 gas radiator in my living room and it gets turned on hourly...My set up isn't strange Its sp fault they are using the estimated charge even knowing that no way on earth I would use that amount of gas but like I said I have all my payments going back 2 years and can see exactly where the problem is...the estimated overcharged usage
Highlighted

Hi again Lesley. Thanks for the two new messages. You have a complex system and a visit to citizens advice is a good idea. Very sorry to hear your illness and all your problems, I hope your problems can be sorted out. If your gas debt is just an estimate you should be able to challenge it. It does explain why they don’t want to refund your electricity though. Explain to cit ad what sort of accounts you have and which bills are based on estimates. You can get a gas reading from the smart gas meter by pressing buttons, and you should do that and send the new reading in as well as your latest electric reading. Good luck. 

Highlighted

Ok thanks....I only have the electric that is a smart meter...the gas one wasn't one it didnt do anything,think it was the fault of the guy putting in the electric one and took my regular gas meter out and put what looked like a smart meter but there were no reading or anything just blank...I posted another comment similar to this somewhere I am just completely stressed at the moment with ill health and everything is getting t me but tomorrow is another day...I will be sending in gas meter readings in all the time now as I dont want anything like this again thanks for the reply
Highlighted

Final comment Leslie your gas meter with a blank screen sounds like a smart meter. They all have blank screens and need button pressing.
Highlighted

Yes I know but scottish power said they don't do smart meters with gas..they took it away and gave me the old style meter which I already had.....Just saying this is there mistake not mine...I didn't know it was there until I read my last bill

Highlighted

Which gas meter do you have right now? If it has a blank screen it is a Scottish Power smart meter.  If it has dials you can read it is a ‘normal’ meter. To be clear, Scottish Power do fit smart gas meters.