Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economy 7 power not getting to devices despite switch over after meter replacement.

posted by Noggythenog | A week ago

Good morning everyone, wonder if anyone is knowledgeable about the theory here and possibilities as going through SP chat and customer services may just end up in another engineer visit. 
All electric household, 10 year old immersion boiler, 2 year old storage heaters, always been on economy 7.SP asked me to get a smart meter which i did and straight after neither water in boiler being heated or storage heaters being charged overnight.engineer attended and replaced smart meter with a recon dumb meter to get me back to previous state.still no heat of water or charge of storage heaters overnight with old atyle dumb meter fitted. There is a switch over early am as i can hear the buzz on my in house RCD as it clicks on, also bottom immersion switch light illuminates yet no power going to the immersion. Could argue maybe faulty immersion however the logic doesn't stack up as the heaters also not charging, totally independant systems and heaters pretty much new so likelyhood of both malfunctioning simultaneously  is slim. I tried viewing my app to see if i was on an economy 7 tarriff. All i can see is "Standard online" and when i try input meter readings to see if it gives me both day and night options i get an error message saying oh no simething went wrong please try again later so i am running out of indicators to the issue.

6 comments

posted by DavC1 | A week ago
Re: Economy 7 power not getting to devices despite switch over after meter replacement.

@Noggythenog  The Smart installer did not realise that he had to use a special 5 terminal smart meter to power the night time appliances.  Then the installer who gave you a reconditioned conventional meter has not given you a meter with E7 capability.   You can ask SP to install a special 5 terminal  smart meter  (https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-136/have-storage-heaters-underfloor-heating-or-other-5th-terminal-appliances-now-you-can-get-a-smets2-smart-meter-diy-tutorial-series-8545)

These meters have only been available for a recently but they are now very commonly used on E7 properties.  A good customer service rep will know instantly what you mean.

Re: Economy 7 power not getting to devices despite switch over after meter replacement.

Dav thank you for your quick response. It was the same engineer each time. He mentioned them both being economy 7 compatible. His theory was that the new Honeywell smart meter relied on a mobile phone signal ping to activate it and the phone signal in my area is poor. Hesaid perhaps when they tried pinging the signal was poor so never activsted.

then he fitted the recon unit which from memory is simillar to my original economy 7 meter, it has a basic display that is easy to cycle through and shows both day readings and night readings. Does that sound like an economy 7 compatible meter or do they sometimes have those same display options but aren't compatible?

Dav i actually have a pic of the smart meter they fitted and i looked at the article you posted. It does look like the 4 terminal as you say. There are a 5th set of smaller grey wires though are they the 5th terminal or would all 5 be like those thick cables?

just to be clear it had 4 x thick coloured cables plus 1 set of small twin grey cables. Tried uploading a pic but maybe too large.

Looking at my recon dumb meter. It clearly only has 4 terminals. Is that normal for that type of meter with economy 7 or should it also have a 5th terminal for economy 7 despite being an old model?

thank you. Feel like i'm getting somewhere here. Strange that engineers are straight away saying no i shoukdnt fit this it isnt a 5 terminal.

Top answer

posted by DavC1 | A week ago

@Noggythenog   I don't want to get too confusing and its better to let the engineers sort it out. BUT there are two sorts of E7 households.  Sort1 gets everything cheap at night, nothing is switched on and off and only the tariff changes.  Sort2 has a separate circuit for the heating appliances which needs to be activated (by the fifth wire) .  It sounds like your set up is Sort2.  Some say Sort1 cannot handle the high currents needed for storage heater charging.  At least you know the questions you need to ask the installer,  Good Luck

Dav that's awesome thank you very much. Ifeel more knowledgeable now and forearmed when i speak to customer services to explain the situation. 

i'll follow up on here when finaly resolved as theres nothing worse than when searching and a thread dies after being resolved and no ody else is the wiser.