Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Energy Usage Seems High

posted by jd34104 | 11 months ago

I'm getting rather concerned that despie my best efforts I'm not making in roads into my elecricity bills. This has been going on for a long time now but I'm now at the end of my tether.

My current bill is now £242 with a daily energy usage of 62.1kWh.

We have a 3 bed house which is all electric so economy 7 tarrif. My wife and I both work and both kids are at school so theres nobody in during the day. As per normal family life we do have the washing machine and umble on fairly regular but I'm struggling to account for the 62.1kWh daily usage.

It seems high to me but maybe not, how does this compare with oher users?

Any feedback welcome.

6 comments
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 11 months ago
Re: Energy Usage Seems High
Let us know your annual kWh consumption which is on page2 of your bills. Electric heat is expensive unplug your storage heaters in summer to stop them warming up at night.
Highlighted

So the 12 month figures are as follows,
Night 17640 kWh
Day 5081 kWh
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 11 months ago

Thanks for the information  Ofgem says Economy 7 customers are typically (kwh)

Low 2500

Medium 4200

High 7100

The Ofgem split between day and night is 58% day  42% night

So your numbers 5081 and 17640 Total 22721. are astronomically high. I could not say why this should be but something is definitely wrong.  You could check your meter by turning off everything and putting on a 1kwh hour appliance for 1 hour (eg a one bar fire) It should show one kwh on your meter.  If your meters are reading high SP will check them for £50 I believe but if they are shown to be wrong your £50 is refunded.

Highlighted

Thanks for that I knew it was high but wasnt sure what the normal estimate was. I'll certainly do some testing and get in touch with SP as this is like paying for the power of a commercial property.
Highlighted

posted by Nagibson | 6 days ago
Hi im topping up about 100 pounds a week and im out at work all day and my family are out till 4 just dosent add up could i give you my meter readings to see if this is right havent had scottish power out at mine for about a year.

posted by Davc | 6 days ago
@Nagibson. Definitely send in your readings, we all have to do that as a routine job. You can do it online without a phone call.