Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Energy collapse

posted by urzz06 | 5 months ago
Hi
Following on from my last blog SP have just emailed me that my account is finally set up and they state I am £700 + in debit which they are suggesting I repay over 2 yrs. Generously they have said that they do not want to hold me from switching provider at this time as having been so long with account on hold my initial tariff deal has expired. There is still no info as to whether i owe anything to ExEn so I have to check that before I can agree to anything, suffice to say I don't believe prior to recently SP have handled the situation very well as nor have Ofgem with lack of any update on an end date. Saying we still have Supply but no control over how to pay for it until the final reckoning is bit of a reckless way to go about it to my mind.
Oh and SP 's only suggestion is put money aside for whenever that is.
9 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Jonnel | 5 months ago
Re: Extra Energy collapse

@urzz06 A couple of things to bear in mind... If you switch, you'll almost certainly have to pay that balance to SP in one go, however your complaint goes and whatever any subsequent OS finding may be. But even if The OS finds in your favour, there's no telling what (any) compensation might be... some people have only received a token payment awarded, which says more about (an energy provider) being wrong than in any way compensating the customer or punishing said provider. On the other hand, the cynic in me feels SP would not be hilighting your freedom to switch if they were 110% confident of their position.

If you don't switch provider but switch to a more appropriate tariff within SP, they might be more ameanable to a reduction in that charge, subsequent to your coming to an agreement in the complaint arena. Might be worth thinking about... You'd also get 2 yrs to pay back what was (possibly) agreed, however large or small.

I do not know your usage or lifestyle, but for over 5 months of energy use (through winter) £700 isn't actually that bad a figure for my household. Might be worth looking at your historic usage with an objective eye to see just how over-and-above it really is for yours.

How certain are you that your ExEn account was in arrears? All the people I've seen on here think they're owed. If you are owed too, switching will in no way jeopardize your claim, and when it's finally sorted, you'll get it back, not SP.

Some tough choices there. I don't envy you.

posted by urzz06 | 5 months ago
Thanks Jonnell, this energy game is a proper minefield nowadays that's for sure, more choice means competitive pricing away from the "cartel" but that in itself poses problems because all the smaller companies (numbers grow by the day) promise best deal but have little or no customer feedback. Having been signed up to one and still suffering from its failure to survive I am hesitant to go that route again despite the new regulation, but I cannot afford the security of the Big 6 either,especially this lot.
As for my enforced debt from SP I expect a callback tomorrow where I will negotiate a withdrawal agreement hopefully more successfully than another well mentioned national one.

posted by Davc | 5 months ago
Good news that you are now getting help from SP. Among the small newcomers there are some highly rated ones not always the cheapest but those likely to survive. There are plenty of reviews on line. BG are said to be cheapest of the big 6 but I find that strange as they always used to be the most expensive. SSE are trying to exit by selling their business. I hope SP can improve after the mess of the EE situation, hopefully management is well aware of the need to improve customer service.

posted by johnstl | 3 months ago
Hi

I had a credit balance with extra energy. When is it getting transferred over then into my bank account???

posted by jberne321 | 3 months ago
Anyone actually ever get their credit from ex energy? Or hear anything from them at all?

posted by urzz06 | 3 months ago
I have just been told by SP that they have finalised my account from ExEn and after more than 6 months have credited me money left over from my ExEn account,so not totally extinct after all.

posted by kclough | 3 months ago

Of the people who have received money from extra energy, how was it received.  I have been holding off from paying my bill to scottish power and from switching tarrif in case this will cause a problem but so many months on now i need a solution.  Any advice very much welcome please.

posted by urzz06 | 3 months ago
@kclough
If like me you were assigned to SP by Ofgen you are not under contract and can switch account or like me supplier as soon as you want. All you need to do is request a payment plan for the outstanding ammount you owe them. If you have not paid for your energy while with SP because they had lack of info from ExEn (like me) then raise a complaint with Ofgen(google for how) and SP will have to sort it out. As you still have an account with SP any ammount owed from ExEn will be credited to that.

posted by L_Atkins | 2 months ago

Scottish Power finally refunded my Extra Energy credit after switching to an alternative supplier. SP are a terrible supplier, the account summary page on the website does not match the detail on the invoices, the '14 days' to receive a refund as detailed on the invoice is actually 14 working days and then it will still probably be late. SP are very quick to issue debt recovery letters even though they were sitting on my credit owed to me from Ex En.

DO NOT USE SCOTTISH POWER