Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Electric Meter - HELP!

posted by mdl83 | A year ago
Hi all,

Having a bit of a nightmare with my electric meter in my currently empty property. Despite no electricity being used in the property the meter has been constantly moving forward at more and more of an increased rate as the weeks go by and nights draw in. Nearly 100 units were used in last 7 days! I'm currently only using about half of that in the property I'm currently living in!

Any ideas why it would be doing this? I've ruled out that the meters have been wired up incorrectly to my neighbours - theres is a pre-payment meter. There's no outside socket which somebody could tap into and no outside security light.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I've requested a meter check from Scottish Power but am getting absolutely nowhere so the issue has now been escalated to the Energy Ombudsman
8 comments

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Faulty Electric Meter - HELP!

Has this just started? Was it working correctly before? You could try flipping the main power off switch if you are not using the property. If some appliances are still working (fridge and freezer) the fault may lie with them.

Highlighted

Didn’t feel as though the readings were abnormally high when I lived there but who knows? I may well have had high readings for a number of years and thought it was just the ‘norm’. There aren’t any appliances switched on so that rules that out. Every socket and switch is currently off so no idea why the meters moving forward and the fact it’s fluctuating week by week adds to the mystery

posted by Davc | A year ago

a mystery, if it was me I would turn off all the power at the main switch. 

posted by MeterFaultOct18 | A year ago
I have a similar problem and it's absolutely, definely due to a faulty meter.

Scottish Power's complaints process for a faulty meter is for a check meter to be installed. I've had two appointments for this cancelled. I spent an hour on the phone arranging the last one that got cancelled. I spent an hour tonight, but never got through - the system just hung up on me.

I've made contact with Citizen's advice who refered me to the Extra Help Unit. I'm not sure what they're doing though. Maybe the Ombudsman is the next step.

In the meantime, I've taken meter readings mutliple times per day to determine when the fault is. When I turn off all the appliances, pop out all the circuit breakers and turn off the main switches to the consumer unit, the meter still registers consumption. I leave it entirely off for 3 to 5 days per week and it consistently shows consumption at a rate of £800 to £1,000 per year. I have a clip on ammeter that shows that there is a tiny parasitic consumption by the electricity meter itself, but that only amounts to 1/2p per day. Unfortunately, without the heating on it's only 12.8C in my flat , which is a bit parky.

The faulty meter has 3 registers: Day, Night and 'Heating'. M ost of its £800-£1,000 year fault is on the 'Heating' register. When I turn the electric storage heaters on, the meter clocks up 1 digit (1 kWh ) in about 1.5 minutes. I've made a video of the meter flashing too quick to count and the digit of the 'Heating' register going up 1 digit over a period of 2 mins 10 seconds. In an hour that's equivalent to 28 kWh. My clip on ammeter measurement equates to 3.3 kWh in I have a similar problem and it's absolutely, definely due to a faulty meter.

Scottish Power's complaints process for a faulty meter is for a check meter to be installed. I've had two appointments for this cancelled. I spent an hour on the phone arranging the last one that got cancelled. I spent an hour tonight, but never got through - the system just hung up on me.

I've made contact with Citizen's advice who refered me to the Extra Help Unit. I'm not sure what they're doing though. Maybe the Ombudsman is the next step.

In the meantime, I've taken meter readings mutliple times per day to determine when the fault is. When I turn off all the appliances, pop out all the circuit breakers and turn off the main switches to the consumer unit, the meter still registers consumption. I leave it entirely off for 3 to 5 days per week and it consistently shows consumption at a rate of £800 to £1,000 per year. I have a clip on ammeter that shows that there is a tiny parasitic consumption by the electricity meter itself, but that only amounts to 1/2p per day. Unfortunately, without the heating on it's only 12.8C in my flat , which is a bit parky.

The faulty meter has 3 registers: Day, Night and 'Heating'. M ost of its £800-£1,000 year fault is on the 'Heating' register. When I turn the electric storage heaters on, the meter clocks up 1 digit (1 kWh ) in about 1.5 minutes. I've attached a video of the meter flashing too quick to count and the digit of the 'Heating' register going up at 14 seconds and 2 mins, 10 seconds. In an hour that's equivalent to 28 kWh. My clip on ammeter measurement equates to 3.3 kWh in an hour, so the meter is measuring over 8 times the power that's actually being drawn. Also, the most a domestic supply with a 60Amp fuse should be capable of drawing is 60 Amp x 240 Volt = 14,400 W = 14.4 kWh or 14.4 digits in an hour. So the meter is showing consumption that is showing nearly twice what is physically possible. And that's just with one heater on. With them both on it's twice as bad. Capables would melt and flats be aflame if the meter's readings were real.

It is abundantly clear that the requirement for a check meter is simply delaying the day when I get my complaint resolved and Scottish Power has to pay me me back the £800-£1,000 per year overcharge x 5 years.

Interesting to hear I’m not the only one with this issue! I’ve gone down the ombudsman route and they’ve enforced Scottish power to fit a check meter (due on the 14th Dec), pay me 75 quid in compensation due to shortfall in service (I just forwarded them my long email chain where I got little to no response and dates and times of phone calls i’d made and alleged outcomes) and they have to write a letter of apology.
I have shut off everything at the DB board so there is no electricity in the house and the meter is still recording consumption at a rate of 70-100 units per week so the only explanation is a faulty meter or my meters been tapped in to.
Regardless, Scottish powers ability to deal with any issues such as this is virtually non existent hence I went down the ombudsman route. Scottish Power have a ombudsman department which is now dealing with my complaint so hopefully fingers crossed I might finally be getting somewhere.

posted by shergar13 | 3 months ago
come and check meter

posted by shergar13 | 3 months ago

faulty electricity meter  using more  electricity than a 3bedroomed house

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

@shergar13   Hello, do you mean your smart display?  If so you can ignore it they often go wrong and it is not your bill. Check the actual meter and make sure it is not showing its reading is still close to normal.