Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by JimmyB | 3 months ago
Re: Gas and electricity take over from extra energy

Firstly I want to say that I am not a big fan of Scottish Power since I was moved to them last November when Extra Energy went down the pan but having worked in the finance world for 43 years I want to help everyone understand why SP have nothing to do  with The EE refunds or your accounts with them. The delays in getting refunds are purely down to the liquidators and they inherited a complete shambles from EE. This situation is very normal when large companies go down the pan. I have just received a letter from SP produced by the liquidators confirming my closing bill / numbers with EE and the amount that will be credited to my SP account next month.

With regards to your account with SP they operate very differently to EE in that you almost have to manage your account yourself. You have to provide meter readings at least every 3 months or they will generate estimated bills. The struggle is to make sure you get your account set up properly with a direct debit, you can then adjust monthly payments or make one off payments to keep yourself on track.

Do not expect SP to do it for you. There biggest downfall is that many of their own staff do not understand their own systems and procedures and they do not have a clue about how the EE collapse is being managed.

Hope this helps to manage your expectations  when dealing with SP 

posted by Mr_Extra_Farce | 3 months ago

Thanks JimmyB for the information. 

However right from the start in November when I set up a direct when requested from Scottish Power they insisted on setting it at £85 per month. When I explained this was way too high for my usage they told me I had to realise their charges after far higher than Extra Energy and that's why they had gone bust. On the website I was also unable to control the direct debit amount, this is why I cancelled it. 

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago
@Mr_Extra_Farce That's why you're getting bills all over the place then - because you cancelled your direct debit. Most people who decided to stay with SP until they got their ExEn credit changed from the expensive standard variable rate to a better tariff more suited to their circumstances and that would have given them a more approprate monthly payment. Those that left SP are in line to get their ExEn balances back as a cheque.

posted by MickyD1900 | 3 months ago
Just had £168.47 put in to S/S account when the credit on Extra Energy was £276.00 last november ,so now waiting for account info to come through from last october so i can see how they get that figure? When i tried to change to a different tariff back in Dec. 2018 they said it was not possible till the final bill from E/E was raised this took 4 months from the day they went under which was 3 days after we renewed our tariff agreement so we signed up with another energy supplier.I got in touch with the ombudsman because of this but agreed a payment to S/S if we got the £276 back but someone still owes me £112.?

posted by ee-expat | 2 months ago

Like all the accounts I have read, I too have been watching my account. I do not know how much credit I had in ee at the final count, nor do I have the readings and bills since January 2019. I am faced with an account summary which seems high, since the gas use was non existent for the summer, and the electricity should also have been minimal.  I was told I would get a welcome pack - that has also not arrived, where then is the contract, and what are the details?  

posted by Davc | 2 months ago
@ee-expat. You need to send actual meter readings to SP to get an accurate bill/ statement. The name of your contract and the tariff costs are shown on your bill. The legal stuff is on line. Your SP account has no connection to the old EE account, although SP will pay credits if any are due to you.

posted by Ronco | 2 months ago
When EE ceased trading ,no one asked or said anything about submitting a final reading. I assumed that the meters installed by EE would carry on !!!. As soon as I got the first bill in from SP back in May/June it was for over £4000...3 times my annual bill. I then got conflicting info when I complained about the final reading that it was estimated and then told it was what EE had told SP. After that in July I gave SP readings for them to ' back calculate ' my weekly usage and have now ended up higher bill than I started with and that's with me paying £800 towards my account. I am still waiting for my credit from EE also.

posted by Ronco | 2 months ago
I like yourself have never had anything sent out from SP apart from telling me my account was in arrears.
No welcome pack and no letter indicating as someone else said about final readings and payment. Because I had such a large bill to start with I refused to set up a D/D as the monthly charge was ridiculous.