Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas bill seems excessive.

posted by Lukestar21 | 2 months ago

Hey guys , After some information or advice.

Recently moved into a refurbished property with my partner which has gas central heating . It is a 1 bedroom flat with lounge, kitchen , bedroom with an ensuit bathroom. We phoned Scottish power yesterday to give them our meter reading  and was told our bill was £190 for 68 days. We have only had 1 radiator running in the kitchen which we have the radiator thermostatic valve set to between 2-4  and leave the doors open between rooms. This is all supplied by a new  combi boiler.  We both shower or occassionaly bath once a day. The meter for our flat is an old imperial meter in ft3 and used to supply the whole building, but since the refurb all flats now have their own gas meters. I know the readings we have given are correct as we took pictures the day we moved in and have used 119ft3 which is about 3767 Kwh. The boiler was never set to a timer for the heating , just on continuesly but with the 1 radiator on part way.  ( i have now set the timer for it to come on ). We phoned our landlady who ensured us that the meter only supplied our flat now, but our neighbours in the same size flat said their bill was £255 for 6 months.

My question is does this seem excessive to anybody else as i have never had gas before always electric heating or LPG.

Cheers.

5 comments

posted by Jonnel | 2 months ago
Re: Gas bill seems excessive.
If your meter is the old style with a spinning metered disk it's very unlikely there's anything wrong with it. Incorrect bills usually crop up from estimates or incorrect readings/wrong opening readings and rarely faults. If your flat was refurbed you could ask to check the opening reading was taken correctly, a wrong one would inflate your bill which is clearly high for your circumstances - it's higher than my billing for a three bed detached!!! After that, there's a lot of debate and personal preference over how central heating systems/home comfort is managed and achieved - timer settings, doors open or closed, room and boiler thermostat settings etc. Also, its misleading to compare to a neighbour's bills because maybe you dont know for certain what tariff they're on or how they manage their comfort. I would read my meter daily for a couple weeks while trying different home arrangements - timed boiler/re-setting thermostat etc, to see if I could pin down any correllation between my home setup and gas usage and adjust accordingly. If there seems to be no correllation maybe there is a fault, but you need to find out for sure.

posted by Davc | 2 months ago

Hi, your old meter you say reads in cu ft,   For many years now meters have read in cu metres. If SP are using the wrong conversions this could lead to wrong bills, it’s worth checking.  You will find with gas that most of your annual bill is in November to March, the rest of the year will be low. 

posted by Jonnel | 2 months ago
@Lukestar21 One other thing - maybe not relevant but I thought I'd mention anyway. When I was at uni I lived in a top floor loft flat. It looked so coo
l when I viewed it I thought myself lucky it was available... until the winter. Then I found out why no one wanted it - four outside walls and a thin roof, you see. That's not your situation is it ?

posted by Lukestar21 | 2 months ago

Cheers for the replies guys, As to the flat its a ground floor with 3 walls neighbouring other flats , it has also been refurbished with all new insulation ( i know because i lived in the flat next door while it was being refurbished and regullarly popped in) the meter isnt a dial meter its the standard non digital style but it is in Cu Ft, i changed my reading to meteric just to see if that was , but that makes it more expensive. I will be monitoring the meter now daily and have set just the 1 radiator to a timer for 2 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening . its pretty cold at the moment, but that has to bring the bill down instead of the 1 radiator running permentantly.

posted by Davc | 2 months ago

My comment about cu ft was.     What if SP are taking your meter reading and assuming you have given it in cu m?  That would give strange costs.   You need to tell them.   This is a reading in cu ft.