Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas prepay debt

posted by Mel1611 | 9 months ago
So i have a gas prepayment meter. No debt on the meter. I topup regularly. Then in Dec Scottish power bill my account and state i owe £600 now they say £400. I have logged a complaint and still they have not contacted me. How can i owe money on a prepayment meter if i top up and i dont use emergency credit either. I got a prepay so i did not get myself into debt. Now they taking £10 a week of my topups which i can't afford. I have emailed called live chat and still nobody will help. So i have started a switch to another supplier but now i guess they will transfer this debt to them. Any advice will be helpful.
12 comments

posted by Davc | 9 months ago
Re: Gas prepay debt

Hi Mel, if you moved into a property which had a prepayment meter sometimes you end up paying the debt of the previous client. If you have always been responsible for your own prepayment meter then a debt should not have built up, but if you switched to prepayment and had an oustanding debt on your old credit meter then you will still be expected to pay it off.  If you switch supplier I doubt any new supplier is going to take over the debt. So you can go back to your old credit account records and see if there was a debt on it, and if there was not you can challenge SP.

No previous debt. When i moved in property there was previous tenant debt but prepay was with npower and they cleared meter. Ive had constant struggle with any contact with scottish power complaints

Hi again Mel, you have answered your own question, you are paying the debt of a previous tennant. 

Eventually got through to an advisor who actually took time to look at my account she said the estimated start read thats why there is debt said she would get this looked into further. But in the mean time i have to still pay £10 a week towards debt

posted by nadiakhan | 9 months ago
When I moved to my new flat I had British Gas prepay meter and had credit of £320 after that I switched to Scottish power which was the biggest mistake. Then after some time my account was going into debt but I was topping up my account time to time as it required. I messaged them they said you should ignore it which I did but still it was building up then I gave them a call they were so rude and they didn’t help me in anyway and said I have to pay the debt no matter what. My debt went to more then £700 which I disputed then they brought it to £300 . The matter is still pending and they charging me £10 every time I top up which I cannot afford I tried to change my meter to other one but nothing happened I am really stuck with no clue what to do next

Don’t understand how you can build up £300 debt on PAYG. When your credit runs out the power stops. Or did you have a credit meter which you swapped to PAYG?  In that case you have to pay off your debt slowly through PAYG. 

Hi
Spoke to an advisor 2 weeks ago she said my start read were wrong. But still they haven't updated this and now sent me a bill for £600. Its so frustrating they said a mangager would call me within 2 hours and now its 2 weeks later. Ive moved to utilita no standing charges and can top up online. Scottish power worst company and customer services. Complaint logged dec 14th 2018 and still no contact from them
Highlighted

posted by nadiakhan | 9 months ago
I had the same meter just changed the supplier.This is what we also don’t understand how we build a debt on prepay meter

Well it is your account and you can check the status on line. Are you sure you have a prepayment meter Do you insert a key to top up payments?