Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High usage

posted by SarahL1988 | 5 months ago

Can anyone help? I live in a 1 bed flat (just me and my partner) we are both a work all day! And I’m paying 89 a month for just my electric. This seems massively high to me. Every time I submit a meter reading – I get a message “this looks higher then expected” but its correct and what reads on my meter, can anyone suggest why its so high?

6 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 5 months ago
Re: High usage
Not really but if you have no gas, electric heating is extremely expensive. Reply with your actual kwh consumption if you like. For a typical property it should be around 2000 to 5000 per year.

Thanks for the reply. I pay my for gas separately.
My last meter reading (done today) was 11923 (7)

Thanks Sarah, but your meter reading means nothing to me. Look at your electricity bill on the tariff information page and you will see your annual kwh consumption printed there.

Hi - thanks for replying - sorry i wasn't sure where to find that info. I've just found my Energy usage dashboard and found the most recent usage details. Does this help?

03/11/2017 - 24/12/2017 2076 (kWh)
25/12/2017 - 12/03/2018 1244 (kWh)

Ok that’s good so in half a year you have about 3000 kWh. That is high and I’m guessing you use a tumble drier a lot and have an electric shower and electric stove. Your DD looks about right for that consumption and if they say you are using more than expected don’t worry because that can just mean a small difference. Of course it’s fine to use whatever power you like but if you want to cut down think of all the high power items and use them less. Lights computers and tv do not make a big difference. Good luck.

posted by Davc | 4 months ago

Hi again Sarah, thinking about your electricity at over 6000 kwh a year, it is very unusual for a one bedroom flat, more typical of a large family house and probably at least 3X what would be expected.

. It is probably worth while checking further that your meter is recording correctly (and that you are giving the right readings. ) Try talking to SP on 0800 027 0072.