Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to work out what I spend per month on gas and electric - on dual fuel so combined bill

posted by reggiemoore | 5 months ago

How do I work out how much I spend on gas and electric each month?  I currently have a combined bill, which is £71 per montn, but can't see where I can find out how much I spend on each?

7 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 5 months ago
Re: How to work out what I spend per month on gas and electric - on dual fuel so combined bill

Hi Reggie, Your Bills show meter readings and costs separately for gas and electricity. Maybe you don't receive paper bills, but they are all there in your online account and can be printed if you have a printer. If you want the latest paper bill you can request it to be posted to you.

posted by reggiemoore | 5 months ago
Re: How to work out what I spend per month on gas and electric - on dual fuel so combined bill

Great thanks!  I don't get paper bills, but have found where I can view them to get the info!  ☺

posted by FITT | 5 months ago

READINGS  GAS 3844   ELEC  1  8878   2  35479

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
Sorry FITT giving an up to date reading tells us nothing about your usage history. We are a users forum so we cannot access your account. Look at your bills on line to see what you are using.

posted by paulnun1 | 4 months ago

can anyone please explain how to understand scotich powers bills in particular when you are in credit or not as i am struggling to work it out.

posted by Davc | 4 months ago

Hi, Good question. Look on page 2 of your bill under 'About your tariff', you will see your annual consumption for the last 12 months.  Make a note of these numbers for gas and electricity. Then look at your energy calculation on page 3 where you see the pence/kwh for each fuel and the daily standing charge.

Multiply the daily standing charge by 365 to get the year cost for each fuel. Multiply your kwh numbers by the pence /kwh. Add everything together and it gives your annual cost. Divide by 12 and you have the monthly cost. This is an average for the whole year but it is lower in Summer and higher in winter because the kwh consumptions  are higher per day in the winter.

Yes its a bit fiddly but most people can manage to do it and it really helps understand where your costs are going.

posted by omendata | 3 months ago

You need to create an Excel spreadsheet to do the work - once its created its just a matter of entering your values and seeing what the result is.

Its also very useful for calculating the other tariffs available to see if they will be cheaper because Scottish Power customer services are giving out incorrect information and you may very well end up on an actually higher bills as I recently found out when i tried to switch tariff - the customer services are dire , I know i used to work in the call centre in Cathcart in the IT dept and on the road as an engineer - since Iberdrola took over they have become awful worse even than BT or British Gas!

If you want the spreadsheet - mail me and i will let you have mine!