Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect billings caused by Transposed Meter Reading

posted by CJ | 6 months ago

Hi All.

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with Scottish Power and feeling like I'm getting nowhere fast.

Around the beginning of the year from what I can see, Scottish Power (or whoever they get to take readings for them) took a meter reading and got it wrong.

I have night rate and day rate electric and it look like they mixed up the readings.

Anyway - this resulted in me getting a bill recently for £1500 and they want to shove the direct debit up to £345.

So far I've tried to take a reading and input it into their online system but it won't accept it as it thinks I'm wrong, I've also emailled in a reading along with a photo of the meter.

I then got asked to do a "space test" which meant I had to take a day off work and take a reading at 10.30 am and them again around 4pm along with photos to show,

Now, I've been told that this is not enough and I have to provide readings like this every day for a 5 day period Smiley Sad

They say that this is the procedure and that theres nothing else they can do,  even though every time I contact them I get told something different.

I work full time and I really don't have the time to do this, especially as I have no confidence that Scottish Power won't turn round at the end of this and then tell me that's still not enough.

Not sure who I can turn to for help with this as due to a mistake of Scottish Power's , I'm now being asked to jump through hoops to prove  that the readings I'm giving are correct in order to fix my bill.

I know in future the answer is to provide regular readings myself to ensure the bill is correct but the problem is resolving this mess first.

I'm starting to lose sleep with the stress of this and it's making me feel quite unwell Smiley Sad

13 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 6 months ago
Re: Incorrect billings caused by Transposed Meter Reading

That is awful. Based on the previous actual meter readings which were the correct way round is it not obvious that the two ranges of reading have been transposed?  If SP were to send a meter reader back again it should be quickly resolved which is day and which is a night reading.  I think you need to escalate this as a complaint if you can't make any progress with customer services.  Do be absolutely sure though that you have the readings the correct way round, it should be obvious which reading is increasing in the day and which at night.

posted by DougalDouglas | 6 months ago

I am furious.I moved house on 1st of March.I have a smart meter on my previous address. The property is empty.I was told I was in  credit of £120 then  recently £180.I also had 2 payments taken for £79. making me £335 in credit. Despite being  told twice the account was closed.I asked for refund,which was agreed but did not happen!! Today I have been told my direct debit is increased to £94 and my bill was messed up. Iam now  £147 in debit!! What happened!!. I think I will change  suppliers and inform via social media the incomprehensable predicament!!

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

Hi Dougal. You should be able to work out what has happened by checking the meter readings in the house and in your statements. It sounds like the smart meters were not transmitting and the original bill was based on estimates. 

posted by DougalDouglas | 5 months ago

I have had no statements.Scottish Power say they messed up my  bill! It is a smart meter.

posted by Davc | 5 months ago
I would definitely advise you to open your online account and download your bills.

posted by njl2810 | 4 months ago
I’ve just discovered that exactly the same has happened to me! I’ll be on the phone firs5 thing to try and sort it out but if they think I’m taking 5 days off hen I’m self employed, they’ve another thought coming!

posted by CJ | 3 months ago
Meant to come back and update here but it's taken me so long to sort everything out that I'd forgot!

Don't waste time trying to go through customer service - go straight to raising a complaint, they had me going round in circles, countless promises of call backs that never happened , I only actually started to get progress once I opened a complaint and had my direct debit stopped as part of the complaint.

I'd never had this much grief off Scottish Power before but the complete ineptitude and bungling of their customer service was appalling.

As for that customer service agent that told me the nonsense about having to spend 5 days taking readings, I recommend she goes to work for the DWP stopping peoples benefits as with her attitude she'd fit in well there, and that's me being polite lol.

posted by daveloydon | 3 months ago

scottish power do not care

i am changing my supplier

posted by daveloydon | 3 months ago
they do not care