Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect billings

posted by LC | 5 months ago

Received first ever bill from Scottish Power in March, it was almost £2500!

It's a home; approx £3 for high usage is acceptable, but £20 a day is enough to run a 'farm'

After we had informed SP it was wrong, it had sent us a new bill for almost £3000! It had estimated we had used a further £500+ of energy for March alone based on the first bill for the season!

Rang SP again about the incorrect billings, posted daily meter readings online, it continues to sent us 'Escalated demands' to pay that crazy incorrect amount

5 comments

posted by drgl | 5 months ago
Re: Incorrect billings

Same here! Our first bill claims we've used £280 of electric in 20 days! We never used that much over the winter months with the hous elit up like a Christmas tree!!! Wish I'd never switched to this "cheap energy" supplier. Utter shambles, no way to email, app on phone is next to useless, not all of us can call when at work 12 hrs a day. I said to my wife this would happen but no, the £300 saving (which has been eaten up within a MONTH) was enought to tempt....

posted by Davc | 5 months ago
Hello drgl yes £280 is a huge bill for one month. Were they your meter readings or estimates? It should be easy to see where the error had come from by checking the bill readings against your latest actual situation. If the bill seems to be wrong send in your own actual reading.
Highlighted

The meter readings are actual. The discrepancy seems to come from an "opening balance" charge? Does anyone from Scottish Power even reply on here?

To add to the above, I've gone through all of ouir bills. My final bill from British Gas was a smart meter read of 14422kWh on March 21st, the reading on my in home display (the figures I used to give Scottish Power the opening readings) on March 16th show 15997 kWh! A difference of 1581kWh!!! So, British Gas & Scottish power, how has a "smart meter" gone from 14422 to 15997 on an EARLIER DATE!!! Going back through all my British Gas bills the electric usuage loosk correct, how strange it should all go **bleep** up when switching energy suppliers. Sorry if this sounds like I don't trust energy suppliers...I DON'T! When they changed the meter last time we apparently used £70 of gas in a month when the meter wasn't even connected, they refunded without question when informed I had pictures of the meter sat on my window cill NOT connected clearly showing a reading that was much less then what they claimed. This whole process & industry is a FARCE!

posted by Davc | 5 months ago
Hi again. Very odd with the meter readings and also claimed actual SP smart readings when everyone knows smart meters do not transmit when you switch suppliers. And no SP do not monitor these messages, so read your meter manually today and go back to SP and explain the whole situation. It’s up to you if you think it’s worth the hassle but if you do nothing you will just have to pay what they say. It’s not a conspiracy and only you can help to solve it if you get involved.