Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my bill estimated?

posted by MBowker | 3 years ago

Hi all,

I just submitted meter readings and was issued a bill online. It is extremely high. I was wondering whether the bill might include some estimated future usage? We had some builders in recently, so past usage was exceptionally high. Because one of my flatmates just left, it's important that my bill only include energy used for the period he was living with me.

In short: I submitted meter readings. Can I be sure that the bill issued is only for the energy used since the last meter reading?

Thanks for any help,

Mark

9 comments

Top answer

posted by Davc | 3 years ago
Re: Is my bill estimated?
Your bill is for what you have actually consumed. Your future standing order is an estimate of what you might use in the future. If there were special situations covering the past bill you could tell SP and they may agree to reduce your DD.

Thanks for the reply! Out of interest, do you pay any less if you pay through direct debit?

posted by Davc | 3 years ago

As far as I know you pay the same on DD as quarterly cash. Some people do not like DD because they build up unnecessary credit, but the majority use DD because at avoids really big bills quarterly. Some tariffs specify DD so you cannot get them on quarterly payment. 

Thanks so much. I find it really hard to understan energy suppliers.

posted by JulianP | 11 months ago
I have manually submitted **actual** readings based in my SMETS-1 meter displays, but still they show as 'estimated' on the bill. I have photos of the meter displays but no idea how to share them.

posted by Davc | 11 months ago
@JulianP. It could be your actual reading is too different to the estimate to be accepted. Send the readings and photographs to
Contactus@scottishpower.com.

posted by JulianP | 11 months ago
Thanks, I have sent real-time snapshot/ images of meter readings from my phone to the address that you suggested and await their response.

posted by HoltBiker | 5 months ago

Why am I bothering to provide meter readings when you bill me on estimates?

posted by HoltBiker | 5 months ago
Six months - did you ever get a satisfactory reply?