Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Increase in Electricty Consumption since installing a PHEV Charge Point

posted by iainsw | A year ago
3 comments
Highlighted

Re: Massive Increase in Electricty Consumption since installing a PHEV Charge Point
I have a major problem since I had a charging point installed for a PHEV! If I look at my average daily consumption (not price or Economy 7 just straight KWH) my consumption has gone from an average of 19 KWH per day to 71.6 KWH per day - a difference of nearly 50KWH per day; as the car only stores 30 KWH and is definitely not used / charged every day - there is clearly something wrong! Anyone else seen this? I would expect to do around 1000 miles per month which, according to BMW would use around 300 KWH or 10 KWH per day - so I am totally bemused by 50 KWH a day . Note that before and after measures are both average for around 100 days and heating is gas.

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Massive Increase in Electricty Consumption since installing a PHEV Charge Point

Interesting mystery you have with the charging point. Two things to check, get an electrician to make sure it is not slowly leaking to earth, and turn off the access while you are out of the house in case someone else is using it. 

Thanks Dave - Western Power Distribution who did the installation are coming to check it, I'm retired so at home most ofthe time, I don't think anyone else is using it, but good point!