Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meter Reader

posted by mpa91 | A year ago
Last night, approximately 8pm, I had a call at the door from a man asking to take a reading of my electricity meter and identifying himself as being with Scottish Power. Together with being able to provide ID, I let the man take the reading, however I am still slightly concerned that this may not have been legitimate as I have never had a reading taken in this way before since moving in 2 years ago
6 comments

posted by  Eilidh | A year ago
Re: Meter Reader
Hi @mpa91, it is normal for meter readers to visit your home to take a reading. We normally send someone out to read your meter twice a year, however, it may just be on other occasions over the two years you have lived there you have not been at home when they have visited.

Thanks Eilidh. And is it normal to just ask for the electricity meter to be checked, and not gas as well? I’ve never had a note to say someone has tried to come and read the meter.
Sorry, I was burgled this time last year so probably being over-cautious!!

posted by  Eilidh | A year ago

Sorry to hear that @mpa91, it is totally understandable and always better to be cautious.  Did he say he didn't need to see your gas meter?  He may have just read your gas meter as it is normally located outside the property

Thanks Eilidh. He didn’t mention it, it is outside the property but at the back which is not open to public access. How long does it take for the reading to update on the account?

posted by Lexus1949 | A year ago

Why have I got a estimated reading for November when I have had a smart meter fitted I thought that it was read automaticly by yourselfs

posted by Peedoff | A year ago
Same for me m8. - Plus, this month, I got a big debit bill to boot. I raised this same issue several months ago - so they are aware there's a problem - but don't seem to be able to resolve it very quickly.